Coral Vue Hydros

My Rockin' new Urchin!

Acoustic

It's called a tuxedo urchin. It is reef safe. It's diet consists of algae algae and more algae! He is about an inch wide. When it gets full grown it will be about 2 - 3 inches wide.

very cool, I just picked up another 2 of them for my algae farm 20... I had one for a couple of weeks but he mysteriously died one day...

They do an awesome job on hair algae..

-skeletor-

yea i have one of the tux's and one of the long spines, Look reallly reallly close at them, they have all these crazy clear tenticles that are always moving.

Alright. Here's what you have to do:

Those urchins are constantly picking things up and carrying them around on their backs for camoflauge. You HAVE to get a little plastic top-hat and let the urchin wear it. And take a picture. Please?

Originally posted by brahm

they have all these crazy clear tenticles that are always moving.

Those clear tenticles are called tube feet, and that's how they move around. Each foot is a hollow tube that the urchin can control to hang on to the rocks, or carry stuff around on it's head.

-skeletor-

I Love the look of urchins, thats why I bought one for my nano when I was first starting.

They MOW through ANY type of algae I had (even corraline), but their poop is worse than algae to clean up, so I ditched it.

So what's the deal with 6 lines & Urchins, I was thinking about getting a 6 line wrasser when I upgrade my tank size, but according to liveaquaria.com they eat some urchins? Anybody know if they are capable of eating an Long Spine or a Tuxedo Urchin.

I have enough algae right now to feed 5 urchins. I finally had the algae problem under control and them BLAM! No power for 24 hours created a mini cycle and now the algae is back at it. It will be busy for awhile.

Archived