Pod Your Reef

Smartlite retro

Laura0099

Would the 32w SmartLite Retro: 14" x 3" x 2.2" work on a 35Hex?  I just want to increase the lighting a little bit for the mushrooms I have and maybe get some increased coraline growth.  Any info will be appreciated.  Thanks Laura

Welcome Laura!

What kind of lighting do you already have? How deep is the tank? If the Smartlight will fit I'm sure it would help. I don't have one but have heard good things about them.

You really need more light than that if you plan on keeping corals (I know you know that). Could you build a custom hood to put more lights in? I know a lot of people light hexes with MH, but that kind of expensive in my opinion.

Is that your Dane? He's really neat!

try to fit the 55 watt smart light in there. it is only like 8 dollars more and it broadens your coral keeping possibilities.

Yes, that's my dane, he's is a lot of fun.

I don't think I can fit the 55W in there due to the size.  My current light is only a 20" wide and it spans across the whole top of the tank.  I don't plan on putting any light apggressive corals in there.  Right now I have the anenome (same one that was in the 90), it seems to be doing much better in the 35 than it did in the 90.  Then I have a few mushrooms, they are doing fine but I know they could use more light, then I have a pink plant looking thing that I can't remember its name it looks like a tree and its pinkish color.  Then some live rock which isn't doing bad either but I know could use more.  Any other suggestions on light?  I  prefer to keep the top closed so I don't think I should use MH.

Laura,

Take a look at my 35 hex:

Http://toyfreek.50megs.com

I'm using a single MH to light the tank. I hapen to be using a 400W setup but for softies and shrooms a 175W would work ok (i ran it that way for about 6 months before adding clams and stonies) You can get a 175W retro kit for like $75+bulb here:  

http://www.aquaticlight.com/

With the depth of our tanks you will need MH to penetrate to the bottom.

HTH,

Toy

I don't know anenomes well but I think most if not all require more light than you're planning on adding.  A 32w smartlite will only minimally light the bottom of the tank.  I think your only option for keeping any but the most light tolerant corals (even those probably won't grow under a smartlite) is a mh pendant.

Go to the page I have listed as my home page.  I just uploaded some  pictures of my 35 Hex.  Not the greatest but you'll get the idea.

Archived