inTank Media Baskets

Are my clownfish sleeping or dying?

srb310

So I know clownfish have odd sleeping habits but this looks kind of like dying.

here's the video of them tonight, are they alright?

Edited by srb310

water looks good. they look happy again this morning. I got worried last night when the female was just kind of floating on her side up against the overflow. I poked her and she went swimming around again and then i took this video. weird sleeping habits :huh:

Maybe there isn't enough dissolved oxygen in the tank at night or perhaps your PH is falling when your lights go off causing them to rise to the surface. Check your Ph at night and try pointing a powerhead at the surface to facilitate oxygen exchange. Mine have funny sleeping habits but they never float at the top.

• Like 1
Swedereefer

As they said before, just sleeping. My sleeps up in a corner, sometimes she lies down on the heater.. Think it is quite normal behavior of clowns with no host.

As they said before, just sleeping. My sleeps up in a corner, sometimes she lies down on the heater.. Think it is quite normal behavior of clowns with no host.

I still don't think it looks quite normal. I mean those clowns are floating at the top on their sides. Most clowns remain upright when sleeping, I'm really thinking it's a ph thing. Test your params at night.

• Like 1
Appaloosa1224

I've had my clownfish for 7 years and he has always slept like that. Nothing to worry about! Sometimes he'll even let himself get stuck to the intake to the back chambers. Stupid fish.

Thats normal. I have mine for over 8 months and it sleeps up at the surface just like that. Swims up there instantly after the lights go off. They are fine.

DogfoodEnforcer

my female clown wedges herself in between two branches of her frogspawn every night. mentally picture a fat guy trying to get himself into one of those little desk/chair combos from elementary school...

my male sleeps wherever. sometimes in the frogspawn, sometimes under it, sometimes in the rock, sometimes up top.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...
On 6/12/2012 at 6:33 AM, Kazooie said:

A 3 year old thread? Seriously? :slap:

Well it’s 10 years old now and it saved me from having a heart attack. My fiancé is at work and i came home from work and i thought he was dying. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I nearly had a heart attack this morning when I found both of my little guys on the surface, just laying there. Switched the kitchen light on and they're both moving again. Glad to find this thread - I was sure something was seriously wrong. I'll check the water, but I'm glad to see it's probably not a serious problem.

Also, can someone explain why necroposting is considered a bad thing? Isn't it better to resurrect an old thread with good information in it than start up a new one so that people have to post the same thing time after time? Also, I wouldn't have even found this community if Cweb hadn't posted here recently.

• Like 1

I think there are times that an old thread can be more useful than starting a new one but not always. I guess it depends on what kind of information or questions you looking for. When someone post the same question in several old threads it might take longer to find the info. Either way is fine.

Lately my clowns are at the top of the tank in the morning. I am not sure what caused the change they used to be under the pump every morning.

• Like 1
On 5/15/2009 at 1:04 PM, Marteen said:

Maybe there isn't enough dissolved oxygen in the tank at night or perhaps your PH is falling when your lights go off causing them to rise to the surface. Check your Ph at night and try pointing a powerhead at the surface to facilitate oxygen exchange. Mine have funny sleeping habits but they never float at the top.

I agree both that it could be completely normal BUT I also believe you should agitate your surface water more to create gas exchange. Mine ONLY slept on her side AT THE TOP when I didn't have enough gas exchange happening. She does sleep on her side sometimes, and straight up and down against a wall... they do weird things. But as Marteen said, right up against the surface of the water they are seeking something IMO and it is most likely oxygen exchange, again IMO.

• Like 1