Cultivated Reef

Is anyone successfully keeping Bisma Rock (Christmas worms)?

NanoJunkee

I've also seen them called Porites, but their scientific name is Spirobranchus sp.

I'm so intrigued by these little multicolor worms, but I've read in a couple of places that they're a little difficult to keep.

Anyone have any experience?

I have a nice fist sized chunk of porites in my nano that has about 10 xmas tree worms and one pagurrites hermit crab. They are pretty nifty and I'm trying to make sure the tank gets dosed with some fine particulate food a few times a week. I have also heard that they may not thrive long term in most tanks.

problem is that they require some sustanance from the Porities corals, and often times, the worms that are offered for sale come on a dead or dying rock skeleton. THey need to be target feed an invert liquid also. I make up a puree and drain off the liquids and use it as food for them sometimes.

I like the look of christmas tree worms but didn't want the hastle of keeping the porites alive so i went for a coco-worm instead, just a big version of them that make a hard tube.

I have a feather duster, which is pretty damn cool, too. But, I love the multi-colored xmas worms.

I think I'm going to try it...I'll be sure to get one with a healthy-looking porites "base", like Dave said. I should have no problem keeping the coral itself happy as long as I keep it rather close to my 64w, from what I've read.

And I don't mind smooshing things up for some freaknasty juice. I'll actually put my 2 peppermint shrimp in there, too, when I finally catch the little bastages. (Simmadahnna, ASPCA, jk.)

I'm kinda ####ed that I passed one up at a not-so-LFS a couple of weeks ago, because I don't see them often...even online. Damn. X)

Archived