Top Shelf Aquatics

What Set-Up to use?

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Hi guys,

I think I have decieded to go with a 10 gallon nano-reef. This is what I think will be good for the set up, but let me know if I am missing something or I have too much of something or anything at all.

1. 201 Powerhead

2. Berlin Airlift Protein Skimmer

3. 100w Heater

4. 12 lbs Live Rock

5. Substrate (Mixed 8lbs dead sand, 5 lbs live sand)

6. 2 x 26 watt PC lights

I was thinking of putting a pair of clownfish in, and a host anemone. Someone on here told me that anemone's are extreamly hard to care for, but everything I've read says they arent particularily. Also, what other corals and inverts could I include in the set up?

Thanks

I believe one of the biggest problems with anemones is that they like to move a lot, and when they move, they tend to kill any corals in their way, or around it. Some people have success keeping them, but I personally am opting to stay away from them. As far as the lr, I think 12 pounds is plenty, simply because most of your corals will come on pieces of lr, so you will be adding some with each coral addition. Everything else looks good, except most things I have read say a skimmer isn't necessary for a nano.

Nishant3789

dont do the anenome unless u have spent lots and lotsa time researching them and understanding them, and after if u still want to take the risk go ahead but u wont be able to keep many corals in the tank as the anenome will move around alot. anenomes are also really senisitive to water quality and need to be put only in setups that are well established. if u really want an anenome, get a condy and make sure tank an invert one with jsut live rock and the condy, eventually the condyll get too big however and you will have to take him back to the lfs. well hth

nishant

the idea of a skimmer in/on a nano is generally up to you...

i would recommend just doing 10-20 percent water change weekly, and for people that cant keep up with it and to add an extra peace of mind.. i would say use carbon, but like carbon, skimmer would be a better investment long term wise....

and also, there are a very few people that have been succesful in keeping anemone's in larger tanks, and many hobbyist still question the success in keeping them..if you plan on keeping one in a 10 gallon, i would recommend keeping it there by itself, just like what jdiver said, they move alot and "will" sting corals....

good luck...

(Edited by Stryf3 at 4:22 am on June 26, 2002)

i use 201s on my 10g... you'll definitely need more flow than just one of those.  i use 2 201s (one of them powers my surge device) and also an aquaclear mini hob for more water flow/occasional filtration.  btw- if you haven't bought the powerhead yet, i'd go with a different brand... i've had nothing but trouble with my 201s, sometimes they just stop pumping, and also when the power goes out they're a ##### to get started up again.  i happened to have them laying around which is why i used them, but i'm going to replace them eventually because they're such a pain.

(Edited by flaunt at 12:20 pm on June 26, 2002)

BustytheSnowMaam

More LR- I have 20 lbs in my 10- and I'm with the "ditch the skimmer" crowd.  Maybe a HOB filter with just the floss instead.  I just used LR and Caribsea aragonite instead of LS, and the rock seeded the aragonite.

Tasha

NanoReefer53

If u plan on having an anemone with 2 clowns, have only and anemone in there w/ two clowns, no other corals. A bubble tip or condy will do fine in a 10g for a couple months. After that though they get big, and I mean really big. Also cover up the powerhead and filter intakes with sponges so it dosen't accidently chop up some anemone arms.

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 3:57 pm on June 26, 2002)

Nishant3789

the bubble tip gets really big??? i thought they stayed farley smal... at least the one at my lfs does

nishant

I have a saunders piccalo on my 7gal it pulls about 1/4 cup of coffee looking junk out every other day. I really wouldn't want that in my tank I dont even like smelling it when i clean out the cup. $30 Don't ask me where I got it I have looked for others and cant find it again, sorry,

Toy

reef hugger

i agree with 53, if and only if you absolutely must to have one. otherwise they are not a good addition to a nano. have you thought about using a coral as a host instead? the skimmer choice is up to you but, if you do get an anemome, IMO get the skimmer as they like pristine water quality.

nishant, if your lfs BTA is staying small it is not growing, its barely suriving. they get huge.

DITCH THE SKIMMER!  well...unless you are going to use a PRIZM...then you just have to add more LR and your set-up would be great! The Prizm will act as one of your flow devise and with the additional 201..that should be more than enough for your 10...Or you can start a 5gal Refug. (it is cheaper that way..and believe it or not..it will provide you with much better filtration)

Archived