ReefCleaners.org

InTank refugium w/oceanic protein skimmer

Bamato

The instructions require me to "cut the tab" to increase water flow, but my protein skimmer rests on that tab. Where do I mount my protein skimmer? Is this step really necessary?

By a post search I see you have a BC14

How does it use that tab? Doesn't the skimmer use suction cups to mount to the tank?

Cutting the tab greatly increases flow in the tank, I think all BC14 and 8 owners do this to increase filtration and flow. It also makes my stay hold and water direction piece work.

Sorry I didn't list my tank size :(

The oceanic skimmer actually has a hook that hangs it on that piece I need to cut out. I'll see if I can locate the suction cups for it though, as I know it came with some.

By the way, your stuff is top notch ;)

Thank you, I try to make my products the best they can be, quality is a very important factor since I am a hobbyist first.

I think most are using the suction cups if they are using my rack. Sorry for not understand that skimmer more but it isn't exactly regarded as "quality".

You can always mod some suction cups to the skimmer body, they are easy to find in this hobby, or mount some magnets to it.

Let me know how you make out. Thanks for the thread in my forum, it will help others.

Cutting the tab shouldn't really change anything. The skimmer can still hang on the lip it will just be 1/2in lower in the water (unless the media basket fits so snug that it cannot leave any room for the hook).

dsafd.jpg

Thanks Matt, I was wondering this. I do have a stay hold piece that connects in that area but it can rest on top of the bracket if it isn't too thick.

The rack fits tight but a small piece of plastic will fit around it just fine.

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

without the stay hold

JIMBC14.jpg

Archived