Pod Your Reef

Nebthet's 57g REEF-NEW Pix! 04-19-2011

nebthet

Here are some more updated pics with the polyps out.

Dendro

smdendro1-09-19-2009.jpg

MontiCap

monticap2-09-19-2009.jpg

Digis

digitata09-19-2009.jpg

Green Slimer

gslimer09-19-2009.jpg

Bottlebrush

bottlebrush1-09-19-2009.jpg

and here are a couple other pics of stuff in my tank too.

unknown1-09-19-2009.jpg

This guy is really starting to regrow now. Sorry for the crappy pic, my fish are camera whores and kept getting in the way.

regrow09-19-2009.jpg

froghammer09-19-2009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changes made:

Purchased a Koralia 4 1200gph.

Removed the K3 and K1.

I am finding the flow of the K4 more than enough for this tank at the moment. I tried adding the K1 and switched out K3 with it , but unfortunately either one of them together with the K4 is just too much flow, and the two together on their own was not enough despite the cross flow.

I am thinking Koralia needs to make a 1000gph that is a little gentler than the K4.

The flow I have being redirected off the back of the tank from the right over to the left and down and up from the front.

Most of the corals are adapting to the extra flow.

I still have cross flow from my AC70 fuge.

More pix.

BTA is slowly adjusting to the new flow.

bta09-30-2009.jpg

Dendros and sun corals. The sun corals do not seem bothered much by the extra flow at all.

dendeosuns09-30-2009.jpg

Monti Cap. My large red hermit crab decided to drop on it one day and the cap got a little po'd and lost some flesh. It is almost healed up now. The pics unfortunately don't show the nice green color it is developing close to the rim. The green flouresces under the atcinic lights.

monticap2-09-30-2009.jpg

Orange MontiDigi and Purple Tipped MontiDigi. When the polyps on the orange digi are not extended the flesh of this sps is actually a nice apple green underneath.

montidigi09-30-2009.jpg

Omen is developing the black rim on his tail, back dorsal and back pectoral fins. Still no onyx black development on his body though.

omen09-30-2009.jpg

Runt is still developing his mid bar. It is coming along nicely from the bottom now. He is also developing black on his tail fin. Also he has not developed any of the onyx black coloration.

runt09-30-2009.jpg

Still unknown name to this SPS. When I use the flash it always washes out the color, but I saw one pic on Kraylens thread that looked almost identical and he stated it was a roscoe's so I am holding to that.

sps09-30-2009.jpg

Another unknown acro. It is liking the flow just as much as before. unknownsps09-30-2009.jpg

I also wanted to show the progress of the one SPS I have that I almost lost but has made a great comeback.

Unfortunately, neither of my cameras show the nice green color this acro is developing.

May 7, 2009

acro6.jpg

Late May 2009

acroregrow.jpg

Late June 2009

acrogrow1.jpg

07-28-2009

acro1-07-28-2009.jpg

Shot of the location of this sps as seen through the left side of the tank. 09-30-2009

regrow109-30-2009.jpg

Up close shot from 09-30-2009 showing the growth travelling up it's old dead skeleton. The new growth is growing around the vermitid snail encasings. You can also see where new branches are forming from the encrusted areas.

regrow2-09-30-2009.jpg

Well I am not sure if the BTA would have anything to do with it because they can't host it or go near it right now because they are segregated within a large container within the tank with lots of room to swim in.

Nope not yet. I upgraded their container to a much larger one that is 3 times the size of the other.

In another month or so they will be doing into a 25g tank of their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time for an update, it has been a few weeks.

I have finally removed the container from my system and let my baby Onyx's roam free within the tank.

My main reason for doing this is because I believe the container was leaching phosphors into the tank since right after the cyano algea started going haywire.

So now with the container removed and I have reduced my lighting to 6hrs a day right now with water changes it has started to disipate.

I have to get new chemi-pure this week and I am going to buy seperate activated carbon to help out as well, I am at my 6 month mark for them.

So here are some pictures.

actinicsuns1-10-03-2009.jpg

Duncans

duncans10-18-2009.jpg

Frogspawn in actinic

froggyactinic.jpg

The MontiCap has healed fully now. You can see the green flourescents in the actinic shot.

monticap10-18-2009.jpg

monticapactinic.jpg

Digis are doing nicely. The purple tipped is really purple now and the orange polyp has green and blue skin, and not brown underneath.

montidigis10-18-2009.jpg

montidigisactinic.jpg

These zoas are super troopers and have overgrown a couple places where aiptasia had taken root.

radioactivezoasactinic.jpg

Red Mushie under actinic

redmushieactinic.jpg

My regrowing acropora. You can finally see the green colour coming through. Any idea of the name?

regrow10-18-2009.jpg

Suncorals and Dendros

sundendroactinic.jpg

Finally Pics of my baby clowns. Some are blurry some similar, but they show them free in the tank now and I think they may finally be developing colour.

I have been very lucky that neither of my 2 larger clowns, Big Momma and Jigsaw, have been overly aggressive towards the babies. I think that is mainly due to the fact I kept them in the container within the same tank so they could see each other.

They all keep to opposite corners of the tank from each other. Big Momma and Jigsaw have paired up together. They make their hourly rounds and check in with the babies making sure they submit to them, but there has been no fin nipping or other unneccesary roughness.

On another note, my blue damsel doesn't seem to give a crap about the babies being lose in the tank. He doesn't bother them what so ever, even when he is among them trying to score some food.

Runt

runt2-10-18-2009.jpg

runt10-18-2009.jpg

Runt and Omen

omenrunt10-18-2009.jpg

Omen: It is not a very clear picture, but I used it to show that I think this is the darkening of the skin just before the black coloration starts coming in. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

omen10-18-2009.jpg

Omen, Jigsaw and Runt: Jigsaw doing his hourly duty and checking up on the babies.

clowns10-18-2009.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

LOL.. yeah my duncans are always nice and happy. The only feeding they get is left over frozen cyclopeeze that gets caught in the water current from when I feed the baby clowns. Otherwise that growth from just lighting.

On another note.. I got some new additions today... pix to come soon.

So I went up to Jim's today (fortyfathoms) and got some stuff. Here are the pics.

Bengaii Cardinal: This guy is smaller than Omen, at 1.5 inches

bengaii10-22-2009.jpg

bengaii2-10-22-2009.jpg

I bought two peppermint shrimp to help take care of my aiptasia issue. They quickly became an expensive snack for my cleaner shrimp.

cleanerkill10-22-2009.jpg

Ultra Crocea Clam. Approx 3".

crocea1-10-22-2009.jpg

crocea2-10-22-2009.jpg

Elegance Coral: Several shots as it expanded.

elegance2-10-22-2009.jpg

elegance10-22-2009.jpg

elegance.jpg

Mandarin Goby. Looks like Red with green strips. He has already been going around the tank and pouncing on pods, so here is hoping he gets fat.

mandarin1-10-22-2009.jpg

mandamsel10-22-2009.jpg

mandarin2-10-22-2009.jpg

Mid-tank shot

new1-10-22-2009.jpg

Also got a rock with a couple Xenia frags and a small colony of Zoas on it. There is also something on it that is bright flourescent yellow. It looks like it could be sponge. Whatever it is, it isn't moving.

xenaizoarock10-22-2009.jpg

newrockactinic10-22-2009.jpg

Then the Zoas from the left side of the rock.

newzoas10-22-2009.jpg

zoas10-22-2009.jpg

New Front Tank Shot

fts10-22-2009.jpg

Great to hear that all my frags are doing well! Did the little tip of the purple stag make it? It was rather small (sorry!).

I know about wanting a piece of this and that. . .everytime I see an update from a local reefer I always wants something new. Speaking of which, I got a cool thin branch acro that's deep purple the other day, and I'm still waiting on another person's frags to arrive in Vancouver before our order is complete so I can get a frag I've wanted since before I was into SPS....true Montipora setosa! :D :D :D

The bangaii looks great - I'm getting two little ones from a friend who has had some babies and is raising them.

Great to hear that all my frags are doing well! Did the little tip of the purple stag make it? It was rather small (sorry!).

I know about wanting a piece of this and that. . .everytime I see an update from a local reefer I always wants something new. Speaking of which, I got a cool thin branch acro that's deep purple the other day, and I'm still waiting on another person's frags to arrive in Vancouver before our order is complete so I can get a frag I've wanted since before I was into SPS....true Montipora setosa! :D :D :D

The bangaii looks great - I'm getting two little ones from a friend who has had some babies and is raising them.

The little purple stag is the only one that didn't make it.. he was sooo small and he had fallen off the base before I got home and didn't take to being glued back on. Perhaps in a future purchase when yours is bigger I will get another one.

I had ordered 2 bengaii, but when I went to pick them up, we couldn't find the second one. We were figuring he went down the ballasts and in to the sump, so that is why I got the mandarin instead. I would like to get another bengaii so this little guy has a friend, I just wish I knew how to tell the difference between male and female.

I know my mandarin is female though. :) I am happy about that. I would like to get a male for her.

Nice new corals :)

One of those shots makes one of the dendros look massive! Thats neat you got a mandarin, they are really cool fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there have been some hits and losses with the tank over the last few weeks. Definately a learning experience when it comes to elegance corals and chemical warfare.

BTA: RIP. I think the combination of chemical warfare and the stupid cleaner shrimp stealing food directly out of it's mouth caused it to starve. It fell off the rock the other day so I fished it out and flushed it. The mouth was all white, and after research that was not a good sign, so I cut my losses and got it out before it could foul my tank up.

Frogspawn also declined and died.

Everything else is goind good. Clam is really happy in it's new spot. Duncans are in a lower flow area and seem happy down on the sand.

The Elegance coral has really expanded in size now and my two paired clownfish, Big Momma and Jigsaw are showing signs of wanting to host it. They have been hovering over it a lot and lightly touch the tentacles every once in a while, but no dive bombing yet.

My blue devil damsel is doing the same thing to the elegance as well, so it will be interesting to see which one takes the plunge first. I just hope they don't go rough on it, as I have read that that can cause a decline in these type of corals.

It also seems that some of the encrusting algae on the glass, especially at the corners is getting to the stage where I can effectively clean it with the magfloat and some elbow grease. FINALLY!! That has been driving me nuts for a while.

I also have lots and lots of chitons in the tank. Usually 15 can be seen underneath the sand on the front of the tank. Tiny little things they are.

I have also added my Koralia 1 back to my tank. I shifted the K4 for a little causing a slight reduction of flow to the front right side of the tank, so I put the K1 back in to help with that a little. I am thinking I need to get a Knano to put under the K4 but on the back surface facing the front of the right side of the tank because the front right corner is getting extremely low flow and needs more.

So, this gives me up to almost 33x's flow now in my tank.

The sps are really happy still. The green bottlebrush is glowing radioactive now, the MontiCap is a nice pastel green rimmed in pink. Very pretty. Both have grown a lot in the last few weeks. The Bottlebrush continues to encrust on the plug and has new polyps forming where it has encrusted. The MontiCap is growing like crazy though with lots of seperate platelets forming.

Xenia is happy and spreading on the rock slowly.

Baby clowns are ever growing. Omen is just about the same size as Jigsaw. Just a half inch smaller. Runt continues to be small though. I think I appropriately named him. Still no aggression between either pair of clowns.

Here are some updated pix from a couple weeks ago.

RIP ms. mandarin. I haven't seen her for a few weeks so I am assuming the worst. She was thin when I got her, as you can tell by a couple of the past pics. There have been plenty of pods in my tank to eat, but never know.

mandarin11-2009.jpg

The tiny Cardinal. I really need to get him a buddy.

cardinal11-02-2009.jpg

The Right side of the tank before I moved some stuff. The clam has been moved to the Left side. The duncan to the far right where the red shrooms used to be.

rightside11-2009.jpg

The Green Bottlebrush, this is the color when it is not under atcinics.

bottlebrush11-02-2009.jpg

This one is under actinics.

gbottlebrush2-11-02-2009.jpg

MontiCap not under actinics. The color is very close to what it looks like in person.

actinicmonticap11-02-2009.jpg

then under actinics

actinicmonticap2-11-02-2009.jpg

This is a sequence shot of how small the Elegance coral is at night, to how large it gets after 5 hours with full lights on.

eleganceretract.jpg

actinicelegance11-02-2009.jpg

elegance11-01-2009.jpg

and this is just a close up pic I really liked of the Elegance.

elegancecloseup11-2009.jpg

Lastly, I found a strange snail in my tank one night. I did some searching and was able to determine that it looks like a type of Stromella snail since the shell is rounded and not pointed like a limpets.

snail11-02-2009.jpg

Sorry about the loss of your mandarin and BTA. That elegance coral looks amazing, I am glad it is going well because it is really nice looking coral!

Yeah I am really happy with the elegance. I like it better than I did the BTA. I am really not liking my cleaner shrimp more and more though. Grr. I may try another BTA later on, but after I get a HOB fuge with a working skimmer on it. That should help reduce any chemical warfare if that was a leading cause in the death. I figure it is because the decline co-ensided with the introduction of the Elegance.

I have pix and a video of my clowns testing out touching the elegance for hosting too. I have just been too lazy to to resize and post them.

I took care of the cyano bloom in my tank too. reduced the lighting to 6hours a day.

I still have a lot of hair algae in the tank, but I am thinking of getting a court jester goby and that is what they eat.

Archived