Pod Your Reef

Sand depth & Live rock questions

MagnumReefer

Hi there,

I am setting up a new 10g w/ these specs...

- 50 watt EBO Heater

- Aquaclear 201 PH

- Penguin Mini w/Biowheel

- Coralife 50/50 CF 55w lamps in a DIY hood w/10 led moonlite

- Tongo LR

- Carib Sea Aragamax Sand

I want to keep 2 (maybe 3) fish (still doing research)

- False Percula Clown

- Manderine

- not sure yet

Various corals

The questions are..

1) I have 1 1/2" sand without the live rock (which I'm going to set on 1 3/4" PVC stumps). Am I safer to have a little less sand or more, so far I've seen it done both ways.

2) I am going to use Tongo LR, can I also put in some Fiji, is it ok to mix LR? I'm going to have about 15 lbs. total.

Thanx fer the help......

harbingerofthefish

On the questions:

1) 1.5" is cool. Like you said, you've seen it done both ways. General concensus is a DSB in a nano is kinda pointless, so go with what you like. I have about 2" in my 7.

Just a question though...why do you plan on elevating the LR on pvc?

2) Mix away! After people start adding corals and what not, they inadvertantly add LR chunks from various sources. Once again, go with what looks good to you.

*side note*

fish choice - skip the mandarin goby. The dragonette family feeds on pods. You will have pods in your tank at some point, but no where near enough of a population to sustain a dragonette.

If you want a bottom fish with similar habits, there are a number of real blennys and gobies that can fill that spot. Granted not as pretty, but they will live.

First thing you can't keep a mandarin in a 10g, so scratch that off the list. Search mandarin and you will see why.

I would only put two small fish max in a 10g, make sure they are compatible with eachother. Search Bio load if you haven't already.

I have anywhere from 1-3" in my 7g. I believe in deep sand beds.

Just curious but why do you want the rocks on stumps? IMO it will look really unnatural.

Yeah it's alright to mix your live rock, just make sure to add it all at once if it is uncured or before you add any livestock that way it can cycle.

Just keep studying before you do anything. Check out other peoples tanks and their specs and compare to what you want to keep.

The only thing I would recommend is to use two 55w bulbs or more. That way you will beable to keep more light loveing corals.

The 96w power quad is a good light to look into.

Once corals start growing they block alot of light which the corals below them need. So the more light the better IMO.

Hi Guys,

After work I read 2 books researching the Mandarin (more like skimmed till I found the info I was looking for, then read) and I totally agree about crossing it off my list.

I visited a friend that I haven't seen for 2 years, she now has 4 various SW tanks w/ quite the varity of fish and corals, she has a Mandarin in one of her larger tanks, very beautiful, but not for a 10g nano.

She is also going to turn out to be a great source for some frags, her tanks are in great shape but I still have some concerned as I don't have a quarentine tank. Any comments??

As for the PVC stumps, I'm not trying to emulate a plenum, I read in several places that the more surface area of the LS and LR available, the better, is raising the rock onto stumps a tad too anal? I know most people just set there LR directly on the LS.

Thanx for the replies!!

As for the lights, I feel confident the Coralife 55w 50/50 PC will do well to start with, I'll beef it up after adding a couple small corals, do you think it will be enough to add a 2nd Coralife 55w 50/50 PC or should I goto something like the 96 w powerquad instead.

harbingerofthefish

The pvc stump thing. Yes more surface area=good. But even if your put the LR IN the sand, your not loosing enough to make it worth it. I've seen racks for larger tanks made, but these tanks are 200+ gallons with 300+lbs of LR. I just think it would be more of a PITA than the benifit.

Lighting. Adding another 55w PC or just the single (^w quad. Same same. If you already have 1 of the 55s than get another one. If you don't have either, than it's more of a $ thing. The setups will cost (roughly) the same. When it comes time to change bulbs it will probally be close to.

More of a personal choice IMO.

If you use 2 55's you do get the option of running 1 03 and 1 10,000k on seperate switches.

Ok, I'll loose the stumps and I'm going to build my hood to accept another 10,000k and 03 cause I like the effects and benifits of running them seperately.

Thanx again

I put my rock in first, and then poured the sand around them. It evens out after a while. I got a couple of pieces of cheap base rock to put the good rock on top of.

Archived