ReefCleaners.org

ATO + TIMER?

ac_archie

lakshwadeep

+1. A tank doesn't evaporate a lot for one day, so it makes sense to only allow the ATO to work for the few minutes it takes to restore the normal level. Otherwise, there is the possibility of it pumping all the FW by not turning off by itself.

Edited by lakshwadeep
Vancouver Reefer

On the ATO i have designed for my tank, I have a built in electronic timer which i made using electronic components. I then time how long it takes to top up from when the low level switch activates, to when the high level switch makes and shuts off the pump.

So if it takes 2 min to top up the aquarium, i set my backup timer to be on for 2.5 min, then if it times out and the pump still is running it shuts off the pump and starts alarming.

This way it does 2 things:

1. Prevents filling entire contents of resevoir into the tank.

2. Alarms so i know when i come home and i can give maintenance to the ATO system.

Hope this is of some help.

VR

Definitely one of the smartest things you can do. Not only to help prevent an accident, but also to keep things from running all the time too in my case. I have the timer for my ATO set to come on for 5 minutes each time, 4 times a day every 6 hours. Keeps the tank consistant where I don't always have to hear the ATO working. Plus the piece of mind that it won't dump my entire 5g of FW into my floor.

why do people put timer on their ATO?

If I had a weaker pump I would. A timer doesn't do much good since all water could pump out in the short time that the the ATO is powered on. I could empty out gallons of water in a minute or two

Edited by StevieT

a timer is one of the greatest ATO additions you can make.

Use a toms aqualifter, which runs at 3 gph, and you can set your timer to run say 20 minutes and be pretty much covered for any top off situation..... unless you have a huge open top tank.

(I evap 3g a day)

a timer is one of the greatest ATO additions you can make.

Use a toms aqualifter, which runs at 3 gph, and you can set your timer to run say 20 minutes and be pretty much covered for any top off situation..... unless you have a huge open top tank.

(I evap 3g a day)

I'm in the same boat, though mine intervals are much shorter and I'm using an actual pump. Right now it's a stock Finnex 475gph pump... =X

please do tell how you evap so much in a day with such a little tank.

That's a heroic feat of evaporation.

I don't evap THAT much, about a half gallon a day in my little 10g SCNRS tank... =/ It's still a lot though IMO.... I think it has something do with where I live, it's drier than the Sahara desert, and i have a fan (granted it's a 120mm fan) running over it 24/7... Humidity is usually less than 20% there and quite often in the single digits... :scarry:

Edited by Phixion
  • 10 years later...
On 5/4/2009 at 12:17 AM, Phixion said:

Definitely one of the smartest things you can do. Not only to help prevent an accident, but also to keep things from running all the time too in my case. I have the timer for my ATO set to come on for 5 minutes each time, 4 times a day every 6 hours. Keeps the tank consistant where I don't always have to hear the ATO working. Plus the piece of mind that it won't dump my entire 5g of FW into my floor.

What time are you using that allows for minute durations? 

On 4/7/2020 at 11:15 PM, Crass said:

What time are you using that allows for minute durations? 

Alexa - change my water

didn't exist to the questionnaire