Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tunze 70W 20K HQI???

Ed-N

Well, roger vitko is the USA rep for tunze, he runs a LFS here in Austin, TX called aquatek. You could probably get in touch with him and have him ship it to you.

If you look closely at the picture on the Tunze site you'll notice that it's a picture of the BLV (Ushio) HIT-DE 70 224124 Blue 70w Hit-Colorite Blue Metal Halide Lamp - RX7s

This is a picture of that bulb and it's packaging:

attachment.php?postid=125314

Notice the resemblance?

If you inquire to people knowledgeable in this product try to confirm if it's the BLV bulb. If it is then the $90 price on the Tunze web site is quite inflated. I purchased the BLV 224124 bulb for less than $50 shipped but I had to order 3 of them from the UK to get the price down.

I bought them from these guys:

http://www.dealec.co.uk/

I only ran it for a few minutes over a tank a few months ago but it didn't look terribly blue, looked more like a 50/50 PC lamp, not a 20K. If you look at the spectral distribution you 'll see that it's a blue bulb not 20K. But it seems most bulbs advertised as 20K are really just blue bulbs.

http://www.blv-licht.com/images/BLVMedia0017405.PDF

Foo,

Excellent detective work!!! How much did it cost to get stuff shipped from the UK? I guess if the Tunze is shipped within the US from a distributor, would that be much more expensive than a cheaper bulb shipped from the UK?

Ed

I don't know about finding Tunze locally, I never tried after I found I was able to pay less than $50 a bulb for BLV shipped. My total cost was somewhere around $149 for shipping 3 bulbs.

I ordered 3 since the per unit price with them went down if I ordered 3 or more.

3+ £26.70 ~ $43.36 USD each

Shipping was £10 ~ $16.24 USD

They also had 10,000K BLV 220501 bulbs (same as Ushio UHI70AQ) but they cost £34 ~ $55.21 so I didn't think they were worth getting from there. But if you're already ordering you could throw one in.

dsb1829 - yeah I still have 2. One for me and one for you? You can pay what it cost me $49 if you want it. If you come over the hill you can save the shipping and pick it up. Otherwise $53 and I'll send it over to you.

Foo, have you installed any of these bulbs yet, or have pictures with them running?

Anyone else, interested in doing a group buy, I would get 1, 10000k and 1, 20000k bulb.

No and No. My digital camera sucks when trying to take pictures of anything in the tank the colors come out shifted. I did run the bulb over a saltwater tank for a few minutes to let it warm up so I could see the color.

I still haven't gotten my 7 gallon running yet need to drill it to complete it.

Best information I can give about the color is that it looks like my 32W 50/50 smartlamp except much more intense of course.

It's definitely not 20,000K but few bulbs that say they are 20,000K are most of them are just blue bulbs.

I am thinking about ordering some bulbs from that place too..so if anyone who wants the bulb and doesnt get it I would be willing to split shipping....

Archived