inTank Media Baskets

70 Watt MH+36 Watt PC on 10 gal.

irish1028

Hey guys,

I have a question. I have started a nano in a 10 gallon that has been running for a month. It is fully populated with my cleaning crew, LR, LS, and a small percula. I am using an eclipse hood that has been retrofitted to use two PC, a 10k and 03 actinic for a total of 56 watts. Although the lighting seems to be working fine. Nothing quite looks like the MH. I found a hood from petsupplyliquidators.com, that has a 70 MH and the ability to add a 36 watt 03 actinic. Is this too much lighting? If I go the metal halide route do I still need the actinic?

Thanks for help

Irish1028

I agree with trevor7, just get a good 14,000K bulb or higher for the halide and call it a day. Actinic supplimentation isnt needed if you have a good halide bulb. I would keep it simple as well by just getting a PFO style 150watt DE style MH then, to get better wattage.

I have a 175 and a 36w PC actinic over my 18H (same foot print as a 10) and kinda wish I got a 250 as I don't have ANY heat issues with two 3" fans in a DIY canopy.

Gents,

Can any of you suggest a vendor that makes the same compact MH hood style as pet supply liquidators. I am want to keep it as low profile as possible

I have heard many complaints as well about PSL, and that discouraged me from getting them to build a custom 3x36watt fixture for a 10gallon (did it myself for less anyways).

I like the PFO style pendants. they have a good selection of quality horizontal pendants. You can find a directory of dealers on their site. marinedepot.com is one that I have been happy with in the past...they let you mix and match components to get exactly what you want. www.pfolighting.com is their site. Good reflectors. Bulbs are a more personal matter. It's all looks, but ballasts are a little simpler. Go with quality,versatility, and reliability of an electronic ballast. Magnetics run hotter, with less light produced, less bulb life, with lower operating frequancies generally. I liked marinedepot.com because I was able to get a icecap ballast, PFO pendant, and euro 14,000K bulb in one shot. championlighting.com is another good place to go, with killer prices. reeffanatic.com as well but they don thave a good e-ballast selection. eballast, 14,000 or 20,000K bulb, and a PFO pendant is what I would do. About $300-350 when it's all done.

Archived