Pod Your Reef

Starting up a display fuge

NotTheFace

I'm about to start up a display fuge next to my AIO display tank, it's kind of hokey I know since they are both going to hold about the same amount of water. So instead of drilling my AIO, my fuge tank is already drilled and I plan to have it sit higher than the other tank, so it can drain into it.

Question 1. Can I run water out of the AIO to the chiller, have it go from the chiller to the other tank, and have the overflow run back into the AIO? or will the temperature not be stable enough that way?

Question 2. Because Chaeto is just a ball of wires, is there any other macro algae that works as well but looks nicer? also looking for macro that won't overrun my display. (and is legal in California as some maybe all Caulerpa is not)

Question 3. If I use "dead sand" (as in dry) and take live rock from the AIO will this cause another cycle? or will having it be connected to the other tank and using the same live rock from it be fine?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about the first question. If it was me I would run it from the display.

The second one however, yes they do have nicer looking macro. Look for it on ebay. There is a lot of differnt kinds for sale.

The 3rd- if you use dry sand, and the same live rock there won't be another cycle. The sand will become alive eventually.

Here is a pic of my display fuge I made for my 29g. It is fed by a rio 800 from the main tank and then drains back through 1" pvc.

3492688764_4db3196226.jpg?v=0

3492687438_3763dd3753.jpg?v=0

Well thanks guys. An old acrylic tank, a dremel, and bam! You got a fuge. It works extremely well.

thegambler26

Chaeto works great but doesnt look the best. Look into mangroves I don't know there abilities but they look cool to me.I think fuges should be seen they are such a cool and natural part of filtration. JMO

QbnSuperman

very nice davlav. I actually bought a small 2.5 gallon aquarium yesterday to make a display fuge much likeyours.

Mangroves are really good imo (though not nearly as good at nutrient export as many of the macro algaes).... just be sure to get the Red Mangrove (Rhizophora mangle), as this one will tolerate pure salt water the best... Other mangroves are more brackish or FW... I've seen some really really cool displays using these. There's a technique you use to make the mangrove grow those insane hanging roots... I believe you just pull it out of the water a little at a time as the roots grow deeper.

Weetabix7

I love display fuges, and there are definitely plenty of nice looking macros that you can use, esp. some of the red ones.

You should talk to johnmaloney from ReefCleaners.org, he'd be a great resource for this project.

Check out his site as well, should spark some good ideas for you.

That's a very cute little fuge. It makes me want to set-up one right next to my system... Hmmm I think I have a new project to work on :)

Azfishguy

Lol its funny the fallowing this thread has gotten!

I think were pioneering the future of reefing here! :D

Looks nice. I have a 5gal fuge on a shelf above my 28gal nano hqi. Pump in rear chamber pumps water to fuge and gravity feeds it back down to the tank...pods get to take a nice slide before getting gobbled up.

Well I'm glad I can show what I've done and help others out as well. Good luck with everyones new fuge projects. :happy:

NanoDrummer

Ive been thinking about setting up A fuge lately and have gotten some ideas from this thread. THanks BTW lol. but is it a better idea to put the fuge above the tank? I just seemed to be stuck on where to place it. i CANNOT put it underneath no room at alllll. But any suggestionds would be nice. Oh and if i do put it above the display what type of pump should i get to pump water from my display to the fuge or does it matter?

Yah, I have no idea how to go about starting something like this. Here's what I was thinking.

My tank is a hexagon shape, so I want a tank the same shape but a little smaller. My display tank sits pretty high so I don't think I would be able to put the fuge above it, but I could buy another stand and keep the fuge right next to it.

Question #1. what's the safest way of delivering water to and from the fuge without drilling my main tank?(since it's already set-up... and I don't have a drill.

I already have a decent pump with 265gph that I could use. It says it can pump up to 5.8ft up.

NanoDrummer
Yah, I have no idea how to go about starting something like this. Here's what I was thinking.

My tank is a hexagon shape, so I want a tank the same shape but a little smaller. My display tank sits pretty high so I don't think I would be able to put the fuge above it, but I could buy another stand and keep the fuge right next to it.

Question #1. what's the safest way of delivering water to and from the fuge without drilling my main tank?(since it's already set-up... and I don't have a drill.

I already have a decent pump with 265gph that I could use. It says it can pump up to 5.8ft up.

This is the prob im trying to figure out to. But i think, and i bet theres a better way to do it, but have the display fuge above the main tank and you could siphon it back into the main tank. like i said theres probably a better way to do it but thats what i might try untill i hear of something better. good luck though!! :D

I dig all the activety in my fuge also. I find myself laying in the floor just staring at it :) who cares about corals & fish :P

QbnSuperman
This is the prob im trying to figure out to. But i think, and i bet theres a better way to do it, but have the display fuge above the main tank and you could siphon it back into the main tank. like i said theres probably a better way to do it but thats what i might try untill i hear of something better. good luck though!! :D

better way:

drill the tank. a hole on the back (or from below) to make an overflow of sorts. as a pump brings water to the fuge, it will raise the water level until it hits the drilled return where it will then fall down the tubing back to your display tank. you can see an example davlav's pic

NanoDrummer
better way:

drill the tank. a hole on the back (or from below) to make an overflow of sorts. as a pump brings water to the fuge, it will raise the water level until it hits the drilled return where it will then fall down the tubing back to your display tank. you can see an example davlav's pic

If i go and buy a 2 1/2 gal tank itll be glass. Can i drill glass? I didnt think i could. but where are acyrlic 2 1/2 gal tanks? Oh BTW my LFS sucks!

Archived