Cultivated Reef

RockScape - JBJ 10 Gallon Cube

monsoon

First day with the 10 gallon cube setup, (in planning for a few weeks)

- JBJ 10G Cube

- 5 pounds cured live rock (in sump)

- 7 pounds base rock (in main tank)

- 1 1/2" medium grain sand bed

Let the cycle commence!

Here are some pics so far... just rocks :P

cube_rocktank_front.jpg

I know the rockscaping might seem a bit odd, with no visible LR. I'm going for more for a bonsai/planted look. Layers between foreground and background, lots of macroalgae... stuff like that. The few small pieces of LR you see are left over from what I have in the sump. There is room in the main area to add LR if needed...

cube_rocktank_right.jpg

Lots of critter caves and foreground room. Well.. maybe lots for a nano.

cube_rocktank_left.jpg

Left side view, looking into alcove. That chunk of "livette rock" is just temporary.. couldn't fit it in the sump.

As for the JBJ nanocube being 12 gallons, the tank is simply incorrectly rated. It hold about 9 gallons, 10 max.

Thank you all very much, this forum has been a very helpful resource! :D

Hey there monsoon...

Just wanted to say that i really love your aquascaping...i like the whole "entrance to the cave" look....i hope to set mine up very similarly....only differece is that i would stack my rocks a lil higher seeing that my tank's a lil on the high side....

anyways....just wanted to letcha know that it's lookin good...i'm about to set my tank up this weekend (in planning for a few months ;) ) and can't wait....

good luck with it...keep us posted on updates.....

Looking good, I am a fan of caves (not sure why - I guess it adds character to the aquascaping and a break between major objects). Did you use live sand, or if not - did you seed it with a cup of live sand from an established tank? I started a 7-gal bowfront and saw the fastest cycle I have ever seen by using the live rock and sand. I think mine took 4 days for Ammonia to drop to 0, Nitrites stayed at 0, and Nitrates have settled in at about 5-10 ppm.

Either way, good luck!!

Hi Henna, I saw your tank earlier this week the 'scape is *superb*.

I'm afraid I didn't use live sand, just a pack and a half of medium grade sand from the LFS. I know the cycle is going to take a long while :( That reminds me it's about time for the water test!

Indeed I'm sure it is Lava rock. Was sold at the LFS as "base".. I can't afford all LR so I've mixed it up. I am aware that many people recommend staying away from any lava-based rock however I've carefully taken the plunge and will be going slow.

Can you recommend any test kits that may be able to detect leeched toxins?

That's wind blown lace rock. I use it in my tanks too. Once it gets covered in coraline and you have corals on it you won't even be able to tell any difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great. I am in the same process as you, althought I haven't added any water at this point. My hope is that sometime this week I will be adding the water. Then it is time for a trip to the lfs to get LR. Good luck with your setup. What type of lighting do you have or is it the stock setup. I added an extra 24 watt light in to the hood of mine. Do you have any problem with heat? I am told that mine will run about 5 deg high, with the extra light in it. I guess that I will have to add some fans to keep the lights cool. All the joys of starting a new tank up i guess.

Cheers! more shots to come after I finish the SeaCrop photo-set I promised Mary...

Ducman996 - The lighting is stock at the moment, I am thinking about extra light, but in a somewhat more unconventional manner than adding another fluro.

If the room temp goes above 80 you'll probably have heat issues. Here in San Francisco its rather cool, so my tank stays around 80. I guess with that extra light there will be additional heat.

Another pic in the meantime.. left 3/4 angle, full tank:

tankshot_031117_leftwide.jpg

• 2 months later...

I love the alcove..and cave entrance look..IMO it needs more rock buildup maybe on the sides.. ..but the center of that aquascaping is AWESOME..

Archived