Innovative Marine Aquariums

white spots on snail shells and some lr

Angelo99

whatarethesewhitespots.jpg

A couple weeks ago, I saw my astrea releasing sperm/eggs into the water. I then started seeing these spots first on the astrea, then on a turbo and nerite snails. There are a couple on some live rock. They don't move and are not fuzzy. Does anyone know what these are?

carbon-mantis

Odd, recently those things have popped up on my LR as well :mellow:

I don't have any astreas though, so I couldn't say what they are...

CoolNameGoesHere

i have the same type of spots in my tank as well. i don't have any astrea's though. and i'm not seeing tons of baby snails either... not sure what they are, but hopefully someone will come along w/ an answer.

I have the same things. Came on shell of a new Nerite snail I bought. Noticed more on rock and powerhead. LFS said they were snail eggs, and probably wouldn't hatch.

Assumed mine were Nerite, but I also have Asteria and Turbo snails, plus a few others in tank, so have no idea who they belong too. Never had seen them before the new Nerite arrived.

Anyone that can confirm or deny LFS opinion?

Assumed mine were Nerite, but I also have Asteria and Turbo snails, plus a few others in tank, so have no idea who they belong too. Never had seen them before the new Nerite arrived.

Anyone that can confirm or deny LFS opinion?

i believe i had some aswell that came on my turbo. next thing you know a week goes by and i see 2 baby snails on my front glass and am like wtf is that dot? lol.

I had Ceriths that laid eggs, few weeks later noticed white cone shaped hitch hikers on my Astrea snails. I'm assuming they are Cerith babies hitch hiking until they get larger. Could be the same thing but different snail?

davidncbrown

Same thing in my girlfriends tank, but only on the LR not the snails. Weird... I'll have to keep a closer eye on them and see if they move or disappear.

For some reason I doubt they are eggs. I used to get those on my glass and rock but when I scraped them they came off and kind of disintegrated in the water like they were calcified shells or something. They also were hard and not soft like most snail eggs. I too would like a positive ID for these guys.

I have the same things in my tank, but I didn't pay attention because they're only on my frag plugs ( I thought they were something artificial).

Thanks Fade2White12 and Lumptal,

that is right on the money. too bad they don't usually result in larvae. i'd even be happy if 1 became larvae and survived. looks like nerite and astreas have had a party. wonder if some of the stomatellas have also lol.

davidncbrown

hmm weird... well they've been on the LR for at least a month now so I don't think they're going anywhere fast.

Archived