Pod Your Reef

10 gallon fuge

phishhead

anyone here built their own 10 gallon fuge. I would love to get some tips on materials and measurments. I searched and it doesn't look like anyone sells non-HOB fuges. That's odd to me considering their popularity for today's reef keepers. Thanks ya'll, JB

look for the eco-mud ones at championlighting.com. they same company that makes miracle mud also makes sump models, as well as ones that get mounted on top of the sump. If you look up 'refugium' on ebay, you will also find some more sump style regugiums. In general, you are right in saying most people have HOB type, esp w/ a nano. It is because one of the benefits of a nano is pod propigation. these small crustacea are a great natural food source for animals of all sorts...and dont tend to travel through pumps too well...so you really do want the fuge to be above the main tank so that the water overflows (along with the pods) into the main tank. Dont get me wrong, sump style still does a great job for nutrient export, and oxygenation, but HOB or mounted-above fuges are better.

Ah Ha! Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'll probably just go with a HOB design. I guess the pump would chop them all up. Thanx Wetworx, JB

Hey Phish,

I built my own sump/refugium out of a standard 10 gallon glass tank. Works like a champ.

I have the overflow from my main tank run down a 1" PVC pipe w.ball valve, into the 10 gallon, which sits below the main tank inside the stand.

If you were to look at the sump from the front you would see that I've divided it into three sections using an acrylic sheet that I bouight at Home Depot , cut to size and held in place with aquarium sealant.

On the far left is the first chamber into which the water drains. On the left end of the sump I've hung a Prizm skimmer. Fits perfectly. This chamber also holds my heater, grounding probe, temp probe. All the bubbles that are in the water from the skimmer & tank now run into the first acrylic barrier which causes @ 90% to rise to the surface. This chamber takes up @ 1/4 of the tank's overall length.

After flowing over the first barrier the water enters the second chamber, which is my fuge. This chamber's volume is @ 50% of the overall sump volume. In here I have @ 3"-4" of oolitic sand and a bunch of live rock. i don't know how much, but about 3 fist sized pieces and a whole bunch of rubble that I've picked up along the way. This chamber also grows several types of macro algae and is lit by a Lights Of America PC outdoor floodlight that I've suspended about 3" off the water. Works great.

From here the water flows over the second acrylic barrier into the third chamber, which takes up the remaining 1/4 of the tanks length. In here I have my return pump which pumps the water back up through a 3/4" PVC pipe, again with ball valve and back into the tank.

It took a little fiddling, but with the two valves I was able to adjust the flow rates so that everything is in equalibrium.

It was easy to build, cheaper than a premade sump/fuge, allows me to keep lots of stuff out of sight, keeps my skimmer quiet & my fuge light from lighting the room at night. It also allows me to have much more water volume. Of course I probably do lose some pods to the pump impeller, but I don't really care if they make it to the main tank alive or dead. The fish & corals eat them either way.

Ike

Originally posted by Ike

It took a little fiddling, but with the two valves I was able to adjust the flow rates so that everything is in equalibrium.

What type of overflow are you currently using?

If you were to incorporate an overflow box in your tank, the only water entering into your 'fuge would be the water which is displaced from your 'fuge pump returning it into the main tank.

You would then need only one ball valve - on the return side - to control and monitor your GPH and flow in general.

My cousin has a poblem with his fuge on his 10. I drilled his 10 for an overflow and a 1/2" lok-line return. The thing is he has thousands of pods in his sump right now, but no way to get them to his tank. They might make it one way or another through the pump, but if the pod is dead...his clownfish WONT find it (they are kinda dumb)...and the pods just end up polluting the tank. The other problem is that he also has a pretty decent mysis population growing...no way that those will go through a pump either. So, he has a good population of natural food, but no way to get it to his fish!!!

Hey Sea,

I just have a 1" bulkhead drilled into the back of the tank that connects to a 90 degree elbow. I was going to put a skimmer box in there, but the small elbow is way less obtrusive. There is also a strainer on the elbow. Into that I drilled a small hole and inserted a little piece of tubing. The open end of this sits just under the surface of the water & surface skims. The whole thing works great.

pic's would be great / I would have to use an overflow though b/c my tank is filled and i can't get it drilled (i don't think) Thanks alot for the response. -JB

This is cool. I've been thinking about using a 10 gallon for my nano, so thanks for any pics and design details as well including use of overflow, plumbing, etc... can't afford to spend 200+ bucks on a sump and overflow box =/

Ike, is the acrylic sheet from Home Depot holding up well in the sump?

Hey guys,

I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

Elation, the acrylic is holding up perfectly. Definately don'y buy a pre-made sump, etc. My whole set-up, including the light & plumbing probably cost me @ $60.

Ike

Archived