Cultivated Reef

Casnister or H.O.B.

fishermike

I am looking at an 18g nano and was wondering if I should put a canister on the tank. I am thinking Eheim or Fluval. I am not really familiar with the HOB's so none come to mind. Any thoughts on these options?

Purely preferential. You should also realize that in the world of nano's - neither is effectively required. Many people use HOB's such as Aquaclears, Whispers or Penguins for water movement only. They do not use the filter pads that are normally associated with these filters. I would recommend the same if you choose to use a canister. Using a canister as a filter will be counter-productive to your nano-reef. Using the canister with no medium, for water movement would be fine, but I would think a few powerheads would be much cheaper than the canisters.

i have a couple of the fluvals but i prefer a hob (any hob). there's just too much work to do on the canisters imo. the canister is a task and can get messy. :x the canisters are also $$$ compared to most hob's.

there are also a couple of design advantages to the hob versus the canisters: the hob's can be maintenanced without shutting them down and takes all of a few seconds. easier to break the tank's water surface tension with a hob, can be done with a canister's return but prone to salt creep. a hob adds the possibility of a quick diy refugium. easier viewing of media saturation, etc. hth

harbingerofthefish

unless your like me and someone just gives you a hot mag...

HoBs and PH are typically the way to go on nanos.

I do plan on splitting the out put of the hot mag and using it as a big PH though.

Archived