Cultivated Reef

Beginner Pump ?

Barnaby

Hi,

I have been doing research on starting a 10 gallon Nan-reef. I have found out where I can get the LR and LS, have my tank ready and are just brushing up on a few last details to make sure that I am ready to begin. I have just two questions.

1. I don't plan on using a filter, I am just going to use the LR and LS to filter my reef. I went to the store to buy a pump, specifically the Penguin 550 (145 gph). Is this two powerful for a ten gallon? and many pumps say "for use with and UGF." Can I operate this pump on its own without a filter?

2. I have kept freshwater fish and I still have a top w/light left over which is an new condition. It has a flourescent bulb that gives off 19 watts. Is this enough? I have have read through the lighting board and everything talks about 200k's and such and to be honest lighting was never my strength in school ;)

Thanks!!

I have an aquaclear 150 that I could stick on it if you think that a filter really is a good idea.... it should move the water around alot in the 10 gallon.

I'm guessing the lighting on my last post isn't near enough. I don't mind buying a better top with a better bulb, but I really don't want lights hangin from my cealing or anything like that.

Thanks again

lighting should be strong enough to keep the animals you want to keep. What are you planning on keeping?

pumps and filters. you have the filter down (lr, ls). As for water movement, I'm not sure if 145 gallons per hour will be too much. I would suggest getting a powerhead that has a controllable outflow. That way you can crank it up or down as needed. Or, get a smaller powerhead for the tank and a hang on back filter (store the filter media in case you ever need it) for added water flow.

penguin should be ok, you just gotta figure out how to make it stay in place without the ugf updraft tho. a couple of smaller PH's (e.g. microjets or minijets) may be better than the penguin imo (too bulky), jmo tho.

besides the FW light being insufficient it's probably a little aged. fluorescents are good for about 12~14 months ime (vho's about 8~10 mos., cheap bastage that i am) before color shifts render them efficient algae growers. X)

think about investing in some good lighting (hood, intensity, and spectrum). not only good for corals but shows off the fish well too, depending if you go FO or trad-reef.

check hellolights.com, championlighting.com, or customaquatic.com i think there's a NR special with oceanencounters.com (sponsor) right now. hth

You can use the AC 150 with no media. Effectively, it's job is then simpy water circulation. As Crakeur suggests, a small powerhead, in conjunction with AC 150 should give you plenty of movement. As for lighting, I strongly recommend upgrading if you plan on keeping any photosynthetic animals. With the current light you have, money spent on corals will be wasted. The animals will slowly wither and die - definitely not the goal you're shooting for. Look on the lighting forum here, and ask questions if you're not certain.

If I were to order new lights today, what would you guys reccomend for lighting? I plan on housing a couple small fish and a shrimp or something. I'd also like to add coral in the future, My LFS sells small coral fragments for $15 bucks. I may pick up a couple to grow into nice pieces once my tank is cycled and has a couple fish in it.

BTW is 38.99 too much for a blood shrimp? They look cool but that sound expensive especially when the little peppermint shrimps next to them are 7.99.

check out the links at the bottom of tinyreef's post above. Those sites are where most folks here get their lighting from.

As for the cost of the blood shrimp - it depends if your retailer is the only show in town. I don't think I have ever seen a blood shrimp for less than 30 dollars.

Just make sure any crustaceans that you pick up will not later be pests to corals that you may decide to keep.

Archived