Pod Your Reef

Photography site development

Deleted User 6

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
I've bounced around between a couple of different pay-to-play type of sites and ended up going with Zenfolio this go around. It is not free, but for $40 a year, I have unlimited space, can pick and choose from a number of different templates, print using Mpix.com, have free backups of all of my photos, etc.

You can check out my page here: http://abphotography.zenfolio.com/ and then go to zenfolio.com to check out others. There are a couple of different price ranges. At the $100/yr level, you can set you own prices and there aren't any zenfolio logos on the site. I've been happy with it and it's already paid for itself about 100X over with the business I've gotten from it.

Just my two pennies though...

This is a cool one...could you use your own domain name for the picture gallery?

Deleted User 6
smugmug is a good option as well, especially if you plan on selling down the road.

I have a friend that just started using that. It looks smooth - I might try it out.

TriggerHappyDude
thank god

flash intros make me close windows

Flash has its purposes...maybe intro's are annoying but some interfaces are well done.

This is a cool one...could you use your own domain name for the picture gallery?

you pretty much always can use your domain name for anything if you redirect it

you might be able to domain mask the gallery so that it always looks like www.yourname.com

Yeah, you can create your own domain name. Or, as Latazyo said, you could always mask it.

Deleted User 6
I'm liking the SmugMug sites, as they allow HD Video for $150 a year...

Yeah - I actually like the personalized watermarks. Not sure why those are just for the top pay tier though? Why not middle and top? Oh well.

Maybe it's just Chrome, but I don't trust a site that makes me hit ctrl+a just to be able to read the charts.

oh good, so its not just me

I thought it was a Safari 4 thing

Personally I'm a major whore for http://zenphoto.org, but that may because I know a bunch of people who work on developing it, know PHP and really despise Flash... I hear out of the box it's pretty good for a beginner too.

E: that'd probably be reliant on having hosting with PHP/MySQL support, so if your host doesn't have that, you can scratch that option. Shame though because it really is a brilliant piece of software.

TriggerHappyDude
Personally I'm a major whore for http://zenphoto.org, but that may because I know a bunch of people who work on developing it, know PHP and really despise Flash... I hear out of the box it's pretty good for a beginner too.

E: that'd probably be reliant on having hosting with PHP/MySQL support, so if your host doesn't have that, you can scratch that option. Shame though because it really is a brilliant piece of software.

This one seems really cool for someone like me who knows a bit about coding etc...the technology side...nice post.

Deleted User 6
This one seems really cool for someone like me who knows a bit about coding etc...the technology side...nice post.

DAMMIT. Blocked at work again. I'll check it out later. Do these options have an e-commerce component? With smugmug your customers can just buy whatever they want to buy, use a professional developer, and get their prints by mail. And I can set whatever markup I want to. That's a big plus for me who doesn't have the time to run a full-time side business.

TriggerHappyDude
DAMMIT. Blocked at work again. I'll check it out later. Do these options have an e-commerce component? With smugmug your customers can just buy whatever they want to buy, use a professional developer, and get their prints by mail. And I can set whatever markup I want to. That's a big plus for me who doesn't have the time to run a full-time side business.

Here are the features of the zenpoto.org stufff...

Features

Internationalization/localization

Multi-lingual titles and descriptions

Plugin system

Slideshow

Automatically generated thumbnails, custom crops possible!, and sized-down images

Upload via FTP or via the admin interface

Move/copy/rename images and albums without loosing any data

Upload images, albums (folders) or even zip-archives

Comments on images and albums with powerful spam filters

AJAX-powered edit-while-you-browse

Sub albums; interface for moving/renaming images and albums.

Video support for Flash Video (.flv), MPEG4 (.mp4), Quicktime (.mov) and 3GP (.3gp)

Audio support for MP3

Password protection for gallery and albums

EXIF and IPTC support

Watermarks for images

Powerful search with boolean expressions

Tags: Categorize you images with tags

Image and album rating

Dynamic albums: Generate albums from searches!

Manage custom pages and news section (blog) with the CMS plugin Zenpage

Highly customizable theme engine

RSS for gallery, albums and comments (Media RSS support for images)

Multiple administrative users with varying rights

Cruft free, search engine friendly URLs with mod_rewrite

• 2 weeks later...
Hoosierfan
FrontPage 2003............ lol...

And of course, now my hosting provider doesn't support frontpage extensions, so I have to upload everything through Filezilla. I tried using Dreamweaver, but I'm too lazy to learn another program.

Dreamweaver is SOOO much better than frontpage. However, if you have a decent understanding of HTML, I wouldn't recommend using WYSIWYG editors. The reasoning is that they don't really write HTML. At least not understandable HTML. Make a site and then look at the code, you'll see what I mean. W3 Schools is a great tutorial site that I highly recommend for learning this stuff.

i'm using a free template right now found at

http://www.on3galleries.com/

I decided to use this because it's cheap and the code works well with dreamweaver. But for some reason this code tends to de-saturate these photos. here take a look

http://www.christinagurnham.com/Kim&Sonny/index.html

The photos look a lot better on my system, and are much more saturated. Might have to do with the color profile conversion flash makes.

anywho this is something i am trying out. i use to use pictage, and they are way too expensive in my opinion. With this free plug-in, i can accept a paypal order and then i can personally submit an order to the photolab of my choice and not have to be stuck using one photolab. the bride hasn't seen this yet, so i'm not sure how she'll like this ordering system.

I need to practice more html, and get it on with my dreamweaver (sigh)

i'm using a free template right now found at

http://www.on3galleries.com/

I decided to use this because it's cheap and the code works well with dreamweaver. But for some reason this code tends to de-saturate these photos. here take a look

http://www.christinagurnham.com/Kim&Sonny/index.html

The photos look a lot better on my system, and are much more saturated. Might have to do with the color profile conversion flash makes.

anywho this is something i am trying out. i use to use pictage, and they are way too expensive in my opinion. With this free plug-in, i can accept a paypal order and then i can personally submit an order to the photolab of my choice and not have to be stuck using one photolab. the bride hasn't seen this yet, so i'm not sure how she'll like this ordering system.

I need to practice more html, and get it on with my dreamweaver (sigh)

it's not the code. your browser probably just isn't color managed. only safari comes color managed out of the box. firefox is capable, but the feature comes disabled by default.

Archived