inTank Media Baskets

Live rock in full bloom

Satchmo

My LR is really starting to sprout.  Since having my lights up & running for a week, I can really notice the bloom.  I have tons of tiny little feather dusters waving in the current.  My coralline took a bit of a hit and bleached quite a bit after the lighting upgrade.  I've lost a lot of the brighter colors, but they seem to be slowly coming back, albeit a little darker.

Main question is about bubble algae.  I have little colonies of bubbles making their way out of the rock in several places.  Actually, I think it looks kinda cool, but have read that they can sometimes be a problem.  Should I be removing these now while it's still under control?

Another thing that's been growing are little red threadlike sticks.  They're growing in small clumps, are 1-2mm long, and seem to be concentrated in the higher-flow areas of the tank.  Is this red hair algae?

Also- I have several white feathery things that seem to be getting bigger.  Looks like some sort of filter feeder.  They have no tube or other similar structure... just look like little feathers growing right off the rock.

Other than that, I have some bright green algae forming on the glass, tufting out in some spots in little hair-like filaments.  And my LR is beginning to get a coating of brown algae.  So basically just wanted to know if anyone w/ more experience sees any potential problems with any of this stuff.  My clown's been in for a few days now w/o any detectable rise in ammonia/nitrites.  I think I'm ready to start adding some snails and other workers.  Any recommendations on that would also be welcome.  Thanks.

I would definitely recommend adding a clean up crew now. Most people will tell you to add the clean up crew about a week after your tank is cycled, then wait another week or so and add the fish, then another week or two and add a coral.

Thanks J.  That's pretty much what I figured.  I'm planning on getting my cleaning crew together this weekend.  Don't want to let the algae get out of control.

Archived