Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral Feeding Question

jspratt

I recently bought some red mushrooms and ricordeas for my 33 Gallon tank. Do I have to buy supplements like iodine and kalkwasser to help them out.

I have a bunch or copepods and tiny shrimps, at night they cover the whole glass and bottom. Is this sufficient feeding for these corals.

Thanks in Advance

you are actually asking two different questions.

1. feeding ricordia and other shrooms.

2. do I need to supplement the tank with elements such as iodine and kalk.

1. ricordia and shrooms will feed on phyto, marine snow, small shrimp (pods too). If you want to have some fun, cut a shrimp up (uncooked) and put small pieces on each shroom and watch them fold up and eat the shrimp.

2. supplements. Kalk is part of a calcium supplement and, in my opinion, should be avoided. I think the safer method of raising ca is by using a two part solution such as b-ionic or c-balance. If you don't have any calcium depleting animals (stony corals etc.) then regular water changes should be all that's needed for the shell growers (snails). As for iodine, again, regular water changes will suffice.

Supplementing is usually unnecessary unless you don't do frequent water changes and/or you have animals in the tank that deplete the element (stony corals, clams etc.) in question.

Archived