inTank Media Baskets

Beginner question Test results

DMC Paul

Hi all

Ok don't flame me for asking this question, probably been asked many times before, still looking through past threads.

I have had my 125ltr Reef tank set up for a while now, and have just completed my first batch of tests.

I set the tank up with RO water 9.5 kg of good quality live rock with many 'hangers on'

Results today were

pH 7.6

Nitrat 10 ppm

Nitrit 0.025ppm

Obviously the pH is too low. What is my next step to get the pH up and when should I consider adding my first stock.

Thanks

Paul

Your also going to ideally need alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium tests too. Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium all effect eachother and help balance eachother out and balance pH.

Magnesium should be around 1500ish

Alkalinity should be around 12ish

Calcium should be around 450ish

pH should be 8.3ish

If your alk is low (which I would assume) you need to get a buffer of some sort (like seachem reef builder for instance) to bump you alk up. This will help balance your pH over a day or so. Calcium needs to be dosed too with something like seachem reef advantage calcium. The b-ionic 2 part calcium and alk buffer system is popular too.

You need to get all these levels in check before you add anything. We also need to know what kind of lighting you have in order for us to recommend ideal corals for you.

Cameron

Archived