inTank Media Baskets

encrusting goniopora

cjm033

i was at the lfs last week and picked up this awosme little coral for 15 bucks. the side you see has the most coverage of the coral on it but the other side of the rock which you cant see has quite a bit on it too.

Chris- Goniopora does not grow back. It has an EXTREMELY poor rate of success in captivity, any decent book will tell you this. It's one of those corals that should be left in the ocean, unfortunately it is a great looking coral and collectors are willing to yank them for the $$$

o well i guess i misunderstood soemthing along the way and i should have researched more but we all make mistakes . right? ill just have to learn from this one and hope it works out. i did do a lot more reasearch on this coral and read that it can be mistaken for porities alot, hopefully i got the wrong id on it at the lfs b/c there was no sticker on it but the lfs owner said it was an encrusting goniopora, hopefully he was wrong,Chris

koolaid-Nice to see another sig ep reefer on here (Penn Eta '03). cjm, I've never heard of an "encrusting" gonipora, but either way they don't do well in tanks, I'd give the LFS hell.

bad move. it's gonna die. it's already dying. and if it's been a month and it's not dying yet then you probably have about 10months before it does. it's life span is usually a year in captivity. they needa stop collecting these corals. it's a damn shame.

Originally posted by chvynva916

koolaid-Nice to see another sig ep reefer on here (Penn Eta '03).  cjm, I've never heard of an "encrusting" gonipora, but either way they don't do well in tanks, I'd give the LFS hell.

Right on! I'm Texas Beta - VP Programming. Class of ?? :)

I'd be ####ed about the gonipora as well. :|

im not too ####ed i know they have a short life span in the aquarium, but ill try n make the best of it. its been out every day since ive had it so so far so good.

-Chris

Archived