Pod Your Reef

First Led Project in Macedonia

davce99

Thanks Evil i received only one WD and the rest WG

Evil one question about the distance between leds i want to put 7 leds in row in total 4 rows, my aluminum heat shink is 35 cm x 30cm maybe is to big

Not too big at all, provided it's as big a heatsink as you can fit in your hood. ~50mm spacing center to center is pretty typical for most setups, and you will have to run less than that to get 7 LEDs across the length.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be interested to see how those Recom drivers work. I requested samples, but haven't seen them yet.

They're kinda pricey. Allied has them for $19.36ea.

Bad link.

It's not ideal for all applications. The smaller unit needs a minimum of 9 LEDs to operate. Not a major hurdle. Also, where can you get these?

Yes Evilc66 is true, you can't drive less than 9 leds,but is good for big units until 13 leds, the link is this

http://www.socc.com.tw/200904pdf/SOC-HPD07..._2009APR24_.pdf

you can order them directly from http://www.socc.com.tw

Hi Davor,

Great looking build. Might I suggest adding it to evilc66’s Comprehensive DIY LED Project List thread? I’ve got a few questions for you or anyone who might be knowledgeable about the HPD075B-F1548 driver you’re using. If easily dimmable, they certainly look like an attractive option.

1) How easy is it to manually adjust the output current? Is this as simple as adding a potentiometer? Have you done this and if so, was it difficult for this driver to add dimming?

2) The max. output is 1500mA but they state on their features list over current protection. Is this adjustable to 1000mA or would you need (or at least recommend) a fuse/breaker? I’d probably adjust with a current meter to be sure (would only want dimming for acclimation for now and so wouldn’t be doing it every day) but I wouldn’t want to blow out one my LEDs.

3) Do you have an estimate of how much they weigh? I can’t find this on their data sheet. Shipping is about $22/kg ($10/lb) to me in the USA which could change the cost point a bit.

I’m sorry if these are obvious questions but I’m just delving in the world of DIY LEDs and want make sure I know what I’m getting myself into. Thanks for your help! :)

Hy TaoBass,

1. you don't need to add potentiometer is integrated in the driver, and is easy to manually adjust the output current

2. Yes you can adjust to 1000mA, you don't need a fuse/breaker, you need a current meter in serial connection with the leds to adjust the current

3. I think that the weight is about 250 grams i pay for two drivers 30 dollars for shipment from Taiwan to Macedonia for two days

You can ask me everything you want

• 5 months later...

Very nice build.

How are the line drivers you purchased working? I'm looking to fire 20 LED's. I could use 2 of these rather than 4 buckpucks.

Thanks

BC

Very nice build.

How are the line drivers you purchased working? I'm looking to fire 20 LED's. I could use 2 of these rather than 4 buckpucks.

Thanks

BC

They workin very good!!! for me is good choice. Yes you can use 2 of them for 20 led's!

• 3 weeks later...
They workin very good!!! for me is good choice. Yes you can use 2 of them for 20 led's!

my 5 (yes, five) drivers showed up last week. $118 for 5 of them shipped to NYC.

$24 for a PSU and a line driver? Score.

Now off to order LED's and start a build thread.

B

• 1 month later...
my 5 (yes, five) drivers showed up last week. $118 for 5 of them shipped to NYC.

$24 for a PSU and a line driver? Score.

Now off to order LED's and start a build thread.

B

Hi my friend how is the setup???

Archived