Innovative Marine Aquariums

SteveT's 'fuge lights for Chaeto?

Walking_Target

• 2 weeks later...

so has anyone had a successful inTank fuge basket with the single submergible light? if so, are you keeping it on 24/7? are you submerging it or letting it hover over the cheato? are you guys leaving the back chamber open so heat wont build up and maybe kill the cheato?

thanks in advance

Chaeto does grow using the submersible lights, but maybe not to the degree that you would want to make the most out of a refugium in a small area. IMO, it is better to use one of the CF light mods that mount to the back glass. The better lighting you provide, the better nutrient export you will get. Macroalgae growth is a sign of this, so a well lit fuge is important. While more regular trimmings will be necessary, it is a sign that your fuge is working for the reasons you added one in the first place.

Better yet, skip the fuge in the rear chamber and add some display macroalgae. Many are just as beautiful as coral. You could then get one of inTank's media baskets for floss and whatever chemical media you wish to use.

so has anyone had a successful inTank fuge basket with the single submergible light? if so, are you keeping it on 24/7? are you submerging it or letting it hover over the cheato? are you guys leaving the back chamber open so heat wont build up and maybe kill the cheato?

thanks in advance

Yes, I have been using a single submergible light for about a month now. Cheato seems to be growing at a steady rate.

I keep mine on 24/7.

I push the light into the cheato, so its kinda in the midle of the ball.

Any heat the light does produce doesnt seem to be affecting the cheato.

thanks in advance

I also keep mine on 24/7, chaeto growing very well, light in the middle of the ball. It MUST be submerged, its a halogen bulb, needs to be in water to be properly cooled. I've not noticed any temperature increase using it though. the cover on it is glass, so be careful removing/replacing it, I broke mine the day I got it due to my own ham-handedness. Its also on VERY tight, tough to remove, but worth it for what you get.

cheap ebay led lights are a waste of money. most things on ebay are that way lately....ebay has gone downhill it seems...lots of people selling products they don't know/care about to make a quick buck...sorry dealing with my own ebay issues now...apparently if a light fixture comes in broken and missing parts that is the shipping companies fault. :(

callmesaul8889
I've been noticing these LED style submersible lights around the net. Looks like more light for the same or less heat/power.

A different version

Or twice the size

Probably little output, but on the cheap.

i have 2 of the last version of those leds, when they were over my HOB fuge, my chaeto did plump up, even started growing red slime over the chaeto and coralline on the parts of the fuge.. fine for me for a few bucks

Got the intank media rack with one submersible light and my cheato is doing fine. I run my fuge light when I turn off my display lights. Just out of curiousity what is your water level at in the 3rd chamber for those who run the media rack/fuge light?

Got the intank media rack with one submersible light and my cheato is doing fine. I run my fuge light when I turn off my display lights. Just out of curiousity what is your water level at in the 3rd chamber for those who run the media rack/fuge light?

what tank? I make media baskets for 7 different AIOs

• 2 weeks later...

I have the intank media rack with the intank light on my BC8. fuge light runs 24/7. I cant say I have had to remove any cheato but it is definatly growing. I rotate the cheato every time i do a water change.

Also no noticable heat increase with this set up. I say get it the rack and light are both quality products and Steve is great answers all questions quickly and was very friendly.

I run Stevie's light in the middle chamber of my NC12DX. I leave it on 24/7 and the chaeto is growing pretty well. I swirl it around every now and then to expose different parts of the "ball" to the brightest light. I didn't want an external light hanging off my tank, so this turned out to be a good solution. My goal was to grow chaeto and that's what's happening. Heat has not been an issue.

Now if only StevieT could invent something that kills bryopsis....

• 4 months later...

Alot of the people commenting on heat have a larger tank (relatively speaking haha). I have a 5 g with an AC mod and hate the look of the lighting hanging on the back plus the spill over into the tank it creates. I was wondering if this would produce too much heat for such a small tank or I would be good to go?

Haberdasher

I purchased these and was not impressed. I put them in during my tank leak/flow/heat testing and one of them leaked and filled with water. When I took it out to try to figure out a way to seal it I accidentally dropped it and it shattered. Ended up just doing the DIY Fuge Light

Archived