Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wanted: Blue carpet anenome

HuBu

NanoReefer53

do not buy a carpet anemone. They require very good water conditions and are hard to aclimate. Plus they will very quickly out-grow a 10g easily. Ask anyone and they will disagree with buying a carpet for a 40g.

Sorru HuBu...

I'm with NR53 on this one. 36 watts [oops, my bad...72 watts of light] of light is simply no where near enough for these guys to thrive (and they may not even survive), and as NR already stated they will quickly outgrow a 10g. :(

They are plain and simple a different animal to keep, and trying to do so in a 10g tank with minimal lighting is a recipe for disaster.

Chris

(Edited by SeaMac at 4:29 pm on May 9, 2002)

oh. what kind of anenome should i get for the 10 gal tank? i want something that is colorful. i dont like condys and bubble tips are kind large. i saw some info on this strand called dittero [or i think thats how you spell it] they are known for their colors. but cant find any.

SLOreefer

sea mac...he has 2x36w making it 72 watts. i know this doesnt make the it any better to keep a carpet anenome but he is not really minamally lit.

yeah i have 2 36 W PC not 1. so  have 72 W of lighting. the only reason i was thinking of getting a carpet anenome was because its colorful. i want an anenome that is blue or contains that color in it.

That is minimal lighting for a light-loving creature like a carpet anemone. ;)

You could keep a condy with that amount of light but they tend to get huge, so it would be tough in a 10g. You might be able to keep a BTA in there...some of them do get large like you mentioned, while others are more colonial and stay smaller (that's the kind I have in my tank). You should also feed the BTA at least once a week to ensure adequate nutrition.

If I had another tank, I might be tempted to try a curlyque anemone with a commensal pistol shrimp. The anemones are not the most colorful or the most beautiful (in fact they are just plain weird looking IMO!), but the shrimp-host relationship would be cool. If I remember correctly, they also don't require much light.

Chris

Why not try a blue lobophyllia (sp?) open brain.  I saw one available a little while ago on ebay through Roe's Aquatics in Charlotte, NC.  Fantastic cobalt blue.  I missed buying it from them, and was going to put it next to a tall yellow pagoda they were selling as well.

missed out.

Ken

reef hugger

i personnely would not put an anenome in a tank that small. you have to consider that when it moves around your tank (and it will) it will sting your corals. and the corals will lose. do you really want to take that chance? im assuming you already have some corals in the tank. you have to let the anenome pick the spot that makes it the happiest.

if you really want a carpet, a species tank is probably the best way to go. that would be, something bigger than a nano with a bit stonger lighting because most anenomes are found in shallow waters.

IMO, take kennerd's advice and go with a coral of some kind.

Archived