Top Shelf Aquatics

some beginner questions

JD2003

Hi, I started a 10 gallon nano about 2 months ago. Its got 15lbs lr and about 10lbs of aragonite reef sand with 5 lbs of live sand.

My cleanup crew consists of:

4 nassarius snails

8 hermit crabs

1 emerald crab

1 turbo snail

1 cleaner shrimp

for corals I have:

purple zoos (colony about the size of a half dollar)

orange zoos (colony about the size of a quarter)

yellow polyps (colony about half dollar size)

Anyway, I came home tonight and flipped on the lights in the tank to see what was going on and I saw this "green thing" in my tank. I found a link to a site that identifies amphipods and it looks like one of those except mine was greenish and it was about a half of an inch long. I saw it first in that back of the tank jumping around with its tail sort of curled. Then later I saw it running all around the rock. It didnt have a spread out tail like some of the mantis shrimp pictures I have seen. I also didnt see any small claws but it was moving fast. I saw some white ones that looked like it running around the rock also but they where about half the size and much faster. Does anyone know what the green thing is?

Another thing I saw was these tiny black worms that emerged from the sand, only at night though. They are about a quarter of an inch long and about as thick as a hair. What are these called? Are they good or bad?

Thanks for the help

I was trying to figure out if it was a mantis or not. The green creature moves too fast, so I doubt I will be able to get a good picture but I will try. Its moving too fast is part of the problem in determining what it is. My camera is not good enough to capture a picture of the little black worms. They are very tiny and u can barely see it with your naked eye.

Archived