Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ed's new tank - Minibows rock!

Ed-N

Hi guys,

I'm new to the minibow scene. I used to have a 20 gallon reef but decided to go smaller (more zen and bonsai-ish). Great site you have here!

Please see my other post about the JBJ Nanocube... but that leads me to say I'm so happy I got a Minibow 7!!! Here's my setup:

AGA Minibow 7

CSL 32W SmartRetro 15

Aquaclear 300

Fluval Surface Skimmer

Tronic 50W heater

CoolWorks Ice Probe with controller

12V CPU fan 273-240 (Radioshack)

12 V 500mA Power Adapter 273-1773

Microjet 450

California Reefs Hang-on Evaporation Makeup Switch with Aquaclear 1000

Lifeguard Little Time or Temp

Nature’s Ocean Bio-Active Live Aragonite Reef Sand, 10 lbs

Live Rock, florida aquacultured, 10 lbs.

DIY Moon Lights

4.5V 1600mA AC-to-DC Power Adapter 273-1760

47 Ohm resistors 271-1105 (5 pack)

5mm Blue LED 276-0316

LED holders 276-0080

It's been cycling for a month. I added my clean up crew. What's weird is I think my tank cycled in less than a week!!! I've cycled several tanks (bigger ones) and I'm used to timescales of weeks to months. But with this tank I used what I think was really high quality LR and that live sand and I decided to test once a week, thinking I'd cycle for 1-2 months. I never saw any spikes. I think I missed it in the first week. (Yes, I know, perhaps I should have tested everyday.) I saw a couple of other people see this phenomenon before, right?

Well, I'll get pix soon. Any comments on setup?

Thanks,

Ed

Cliff,

Now that it's October in Maryland, no, the ice probe is not really necessary. However, it does prevent wider fluctuations from the light.

Come next summer, when we open up the windows and it's 80-ish outside, the ice probe will be handy!

PhyshKit.JPG

KwikClip.JPG

SuctionCanister.JPG

TopOffReturn.JPG

The hardware photos are for Physh1 from whom I got the top-off kit. I highly recommend it!

Ed

Looking really nice!! I'm in the same boat as you as far as the cycle time goes. I tested my water daily and had a very brief Ammonia spike and then it dropped to 0 within 4 days. Nitrites stayed at 0 for the most part and Nitrates went up and then back down after a algae/diatom bloom. I'm looking at getting the Iceprobe too, and was wondering if you got the controller for it and how you like it?

Henna,

Yes, I have the controller and I think I works really well. I think having the controller is much better than running the ice probe 24/7 and operating the heater "against" the ice probe, as some people said they do.

Ed

Beccatech,

Not cheap. 6.99 per lb. It's Florida Aquacultured and a little denser than the Pacific stuff, but there is lots of life on it. It cured it in my tank but it cycled in less than a week (along with live sand).

I also decided to do the cycle with the lights ON, and with weekly water changes. I wanted to keep as much stuff alive as possible. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Where in VA are you? We should get a bunch of people together and do an Aquarium Center run, or eventually swap frags, etc.

Ed

As far as cycle time goes, mine cycled and then the nitrates went to 0 within 2 weeks, but I waited a couple more weeks because I didn't trust it. I never had a larger tank cycle so fast either.

Dingo,

Yeah, you're right. My larger tanks in the past took weeks-months to cycle. These little guys have the metabolisms of hummingbirds.

Beccatech, lets see if we can round up more people!

AbSoluTc, would be totally cool, but Richmond's a hike?!?!

Ed

Hey cajastan,

How many is not many? Have any of you guys been to the Reef Tank in Fairfax? Is it a good place?

We are the nano. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Ed

• 2 months later...
:D Ha! I love the hospital suction container. I have a 2000cc one that I want to turn into a nano. It would go perfectly on my desk at the rescue station.

Archived