ReefCleaners.org

What do you think?

steelrain

This is my plan....

I have a 12 gal eclipse but I want something a little bigger.

I'm gonna use the eclipse for a refugium under the show tank.

The show tank is going to be a 29 Gal tank with the overflow in the middle and TWO returns .

How does the plumbing design look?

I'm not sure the SCWD can be used like this or will it restrict the flow to much?

Below is what I want my tank to look like!

fuge.JPG

tank1.jpg

Wow, I was just today planning a very similar design. The only difference in mine would be that my out line will be in the back of the tank towards the top, giving me more room in the tank itself.

Did you drill your own holes? If so, what did you use for bulkheads?

Another question about this setup . . .

If you use an auto-topoff system, where should the switch reside (main tank or fuge)? It seems that the main tank will always maintain a certain height as the fuge pump is pushing water into it and the overflow controls the water height. I haven't quite figured this part out yet on my system.

the auto top-off should be set in the lowest section (usually the sump). typically, the tank's overflow determines its level but the sump shows all the excess or deficiencies in the system. this situation becomes reversed if the display tank is the lowest element in the system (e.g. in an Adey gravity-fed refugium setup, w/ no lower sump).

i think physh explains this issue in detail on his site where he sells his auto top-off kits.

DSparks: I haven't even bought the tank yet , Still in the planning stage

As far as the SCWD, can it be used like this or will it resrict the flow to much?

The scwd should work fine in that situation provided u use a large enough pump. a 'powerhead' would not be sufficient in this case to provide adequate circulation. If your set on using a submersible use a mag drive or similiar (dont use a big rio) i would look for somthing in the 700-900gph range. An external pump would be much more preferable in my opinion, they are easier to insulate for vibrations and transfer less heat to your system. Also be sure to plan the refugium to be able to accomadate the backflow from the drilled returns in the case of a power outage. Also you may want to add two baffles on the left side of the refugium to filter out bubbles from the drain line.

I did something similar with my 20 and a 5gal fuge/sump. turned out I had way to much flow (400gph) through the fuge, so, you might want to reconsider the amount of water running through the fuge, it needs to be a bit slower.... I split the line from my overflow and run about 300gph directly to the chamber with the return pump and another 100gph goes through the fuge...

-skeletor-

I run a mag 700 as a return pump on my 30g with sump/refuge. It works fine. Although it is a 30g sump with about 20 gallons being the refugium. Perhaps the extra length allows things to settle down enough for the macro to pick it up.

Archived