Coral Vue Hydros

TheeGrimReefer's Biocube 29

THEEGRIMREEFER

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THEEGRIMREEFER

Thanks LVreefer, hurry up and start it up haha!

Sorry JLwaves.... it hasnt came out of hiding yet :unsure: i hope he dosent starve to death! its been 2 days already!!

So a little update, i got a sweet deal on another BC29 hood for 40 bucks on craigslist!! woop woop! :naughtydance: it came with the ballasts too! the only thing that wasnt working is the right fan. i couldnt pass this up. So soon i will attempting a similar version of the nanocustoms 4.36 kit lol if this goes well i can hold off on spending hella money on a new fixture! fingerscrossed and more on my livestock.

Now to get technical for those of you who know the internals or have taken apart their biocubes... so if i connect the black and white wire together from the ballast (the ones that go to the switch) the ballast will stay permanently on? correct? because i really dont care about having it switched because theyll be on timers anyways. This seems like an easy diy since oceanic is so nice to have everything with connectors so this will be as soderless/spliceless as possible. From the looks of it i just need to connect the green wires to the light and the black and white ones together, then viola! 144watts of heaven. im gona try to copy the instructions from the nanotuners site haha and see how they placed their lights. well ill probably be attempting this tonight as i am very excited about the nice wattage. ill probably post a step by step when i finish (if done correctly!).

THEEGRIMREEFER

Alright so last night when i was working on my hood i was able to make it 3.36! i got too tired to do the fourth one so here a writeup of how i did it. its really simple.

Tools

extra hood (complete with lights and ballsts) lol

wire connectors

screw driver

nuts and bolts

wire cutter

wire stripper

i think thats it? haha

Wire color coding

2 green wires - power the light and connect to the bulb connector

black and white wires - These go to the swtich turn it on. i connected them together to complete the circuit so the ballast will be on when pluged in so a timer is needed.

brown wire - Powers the fans i believe? it connects to the transformer. not needed though so make sure its closed off at the end.

yellow wire - ground wire

Step 1 take off cover, reflector, moonights, lights etc.

DSC01939.jpg

Step 2 remove right side ballast wire from hood i just slide everything through the two holes in the plastic with keeping all the plugs on it. but you have to snip the green wires since they wont fit through the holes. and reconnect the green wires and splice the black and white wires and connect them together. plug in the bulb connector and bulb.

DSC01943.jpg

Step 3 test it if it works. plugged it in and it works!

DSC01944.jpg

Step 4 Drill holes in the rear reflector about an inch and a half down from the folded side of reflector and use nuts and bolts to attach bulb clips. (note: you should cut off the grill ends of the reflector since they get in the way of the bulb plug. i did this later on after trial and error)

DSC01946.jpg

Step 5 Place light to see if placement is good.

DSC01950.jpg

Step 6 Remove splashguard and rear reflector in other hood. drill extra holes in the hood for ballast wires to go through. idk what size the drill bit was but it was the biggest one i had. add the rubber seals from old hood to new holes. detach whatever wont fit through the holes and slip the wire through the two holes and reatach wires after.

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

Step 7 Tuck wires neatly and add modded rear reflector, dont forget to add ground wire (yellow wire) and screw under with the reflector. and place bulb (i used the actinic) and you may want to fold the capacitor under the bulb connector out for more clearance. and test it out

DSC01956.jpg

Step 7 if all turned out well then screw in the splash guard and BAM you now have 3.36!!! :lol:

DSC01959.jpg

BUT a flaw with what i did was that the rear reflector holds it too high so the splash guard kinda pushes on the bulb connector. i tried trimming the connector but it didnt do much. so since it pushes on the connector the other side of the bulb kinda touches the splash guard. Today i didnt notice any bad effects from it though maybe because the fan is right on top keeping it cool. But if you want to make it even neater you can do what i will soon do, and that is buy the almond bulb connector since it is smaller and BC29 4.36 heatshield from nanotuners. and by buying that heatshield it allows for the 4th light to be easily placed! :D and there yah have it! comments and questions please!

THEEGRIMREEFER
thats SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great job

thanks mann! :D

Alright so today my purple firefish was peeking out during feeding so i was able to snap a pic of him!!

here yah go!

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01960.jpg

i just hope he starts to stay out soon :angry: lol i think i have done a good job of not scaring him myself. but this guy is scared of anything and everything , he darted back into his hole when he saw a hermit crab walk by lol -_-

THEEGRIMREEFER

So today i walked back into my room and i found my firefish out!! omgomgomg so i fed some flakes, and he ate them! so he seems pretty healthy and everything.

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

So my rockscape has changed slightly so heres a newer fts, sorry its kinda blurry i rushed because the firefish was finally out.

DSC01963.jpg

THEEGRIMREEFER

So does anybody know what kind of corals i can keep under the 108 watts? is sps and clams out of the question? i also have an rbta in my 14 that im thinking about moving to this tank, would the light be sufficient?

latteslave

There are more people on this site with a LOT more knowledge than me - but i would start with this forum:

Coral Guide

What is it you want to keep?

B

THEEGRIMREEFER

Thanks for the link latteslave, but idk what kind of sps i want. just wanted opinions about keeping them under my lighting and like if i were to get a sps which one should i do. same question for a clam, maybe a corcea?

vincienzo45

you might be able to get away with some Montipora and Pocillopora but you would need to keep them in the upper half of your tank. I also wouldn't anticipate alot of growth with your current light arrangement though. I don't think you have enough light for clam because those need more intense light. I've seen some folks try and "wing it" by putting a clam under PC lights. They survive for a couple of weeks, but eventually start to fade in color and eventually die.

Nice mod work on your hood though, but maybe you should read up on modifying it to hold LED lights instead. I still have my stock hood and will eventually add some LEDs in it when I have the $$ and time. I think LEDs are the future for tank lighting because of their efficiency and cost benefit in the long run.

THEEGRIMREEFER

Thanks for the tip vincienzo! so sigh.. no clam -_- haha but its cool i guess ill stick to softies for now. what about an rbta under my lighting? i want to get the one i have in my 14 outta there.

THEEGRIMREEFER
That clown is gonna cause terror down the line.

ahh! really!? mann that sucks.. well hes ok for now i guess since hes behaving, but i got my net ready just in case. ill be sure to keep my eye on him. thanks for the heads up.

THEEGRIMREEFER

so today i was staring at my tank and noticed something new! i saw some purple on my koralia 1!! i came for a closer look and yes it is coralline algae! im suprised it has already started to spread. but the rocks i bought have a good amount of coralline which probably speeded the seeding up.

check it out :happydance:

DSC01974.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
THEEGRIMREEFER

Alright heres a slight update! i finally retrofitted the 4th bulb from my spare hood! :D Out of curiosity.. will it be a good idea to put sps or clams under this lighting? 144watts seems like alot to me haha.

4.36 kinda like nanotuners =]

IMAGE_099.jpg

crappy pic with my phone lol. looks like the 10k needs to be replaced.. oh well it came from the spare hood.

um i can tell if you need to replace the bulbs by pics, u gonna have to tell by output/algae growth. before you put that new retro on the tank, alternate the bulbs. white blue white blue. better looking without a blue back, white front. the problem with PC's and sps/clams is lack of PAR. more pc's means some more output, but more heat than anything. the best retro would have been a sheet of glass cut to fit the surface of the BC inside rim, and a sunpod or other halide. more output, and the heat is manageable with a clip on fan. even better without the glass sheet, but evap is an issue.

THEEGRIMREEFER

Thanks mg4015, the retrofit is already in though haha. ill switch the bulbs around soon though. but the new 10k (the one above the moonlights) looks way dimmer than my original 10k. I guess just softies still for now -_- oh well lol. but one thing forsure is this tank is as bright as hell now! compared to the stock lighting.

TuRDBuRGLaR7o7

FTS! FTS! FTS! bump for the nice mod. that mushroom in the middle is a really nice centerpiece very very beautiful

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived