Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting question

pontech

First off I'd like to say thanks, to everyone for such good information. I've been lurking around in the archives for about two months now, and I have finally caught up to the new posts. I have a 37 gal oceanic cube 24.5 x 18.5 x 21.5 and 2 96w 50/50 compact fluorescent lights built in to the canopy, what are my livestock limitations based on the size of the tank and the lights, I want some corals and clams in the future.

Opinions will vary on this. When you say you want some corals, that is pretty broad. Acropora and shrooms are corals, but are vastly different in lighting demands. I'd say you're pretty safe for most corals...softies, shrooms, some zoos. You can probably keep some SPS and LPS, and maybe a clam, but keep them in the upper half of the tank. For a really awesome effect, consider adding a single 175mh in the center of the tank...you'll love the shimmer, and will be able to keep pretty much anything. Good luck.

See if you could get rid of that light for some $$$ and pick up a 250w MH.

With that you could keep ANYTHING there is to keep, No Problem at all, all clams, all sps, all lps, anything. (shrooms/zoo's too)

I really think you'll like it. If your PCs are on separate switches, you can have a really cool 3-phase dawn/dusk effect, with the shimmer happening during the "high-noon" brightest lighting period. It looks great!

For the MH, color temp is really to personal preference. I decided on 10000k Ushio for my bulbs, but some people like the 12000k or 20000k bulbs better. If the MH were my only bulb, I'd probably go with 12 or 20Ks, but since you have pcs with some actinic, I'd go with 10000k.

One other thing I'd change (it's ok to wait until you have to replace the PCs for this) is I'd have either 1 10k and 1 actinic PC, or both actinic PCs. You'll appreciate this suggestion more when you see your tank lit just with Actinics. Trust me on this!

Archived