Top Shelf Aquatics

Sunlight Supply T5 (product review)

MrConclusion

This is the 36-inch, 6-bulb "Tek Light."

The first impression is of very nice packaging for shipping. The fixture was packed with many bags of expandable foam.

The unit has two switches and two power cords.

One switch turns on the four "center" bulbs.

The other switch controls the outer two bulbs.

The two power cords are divided the same way, so you can leave the switches "on" and use two timers for dusk/dawn effect.

Switches are shielded with a flexible silicone membrane for water resistance and electric hazard protection. The switches light up green when "on."

The bulbs are very easy to insert. Each endcap has a slot that accepts the two pins, then twist-to-lock in place. It feels smoother than old-fashioned endcaps with brass clamp contacts.

Here's the fixture with bulbs installed. There are 4 types of bulbs available:

"Sun" = 6500K, with a 24 month rated life

"Aqua" = 10,000K, with a 12 month rated life

"Actinic" = True 420nm wavelength, with a 12 month rated life

"blue" = 450nm wavelength, with a 12 month rated life

I bought a few of each. In these photos, I'm running 2 Sun, 2 Aqua, and 2 Actinic.

Although I forgot to take a photo, I tried a "Blue" bulb, too. It looks bluer, and a bit brighter than the purple-lavender true actinic. Blue bulbs are intended for encouraging color in SPS. I intend to experiment with this after 6 months.

Operating the lights:

The bulbs start without a flicker, about a half second after throwing a switch. There is absolutely no sound that I can detect. The ballasts are electronic, so this is as it should be.

This photo was taken with the fixture laying in the box just like you see above, but I rotated the image to make it look like it's in operation over a tank. Look how dark the rest of the room is by comparison... but the room lights are still on!

Overall:

This seems like a nice light system. I like the ability to customize the light output by changing to any combination of different bulb types. The quality of the fixture is very nice, too.

The light output is somewhat better than a 3x 96-watt PC hood, for a similar energy use. The reason is that T5's have slightly better efficicncy, and the shape of the bulb allows for more efficient reflector design.

However, the cost is higher than PC, so it can't be recommended for those on a tight budget. For the cost of this system, I could have gotten MH, but not in such a trim and neatly finished package. Good MH with Actinic would still cost more than T5.

This equipment was purchased from reefgeek.com. The prices there are good, and the service is absolutely great. One bulb originally arrived defective (burned out after a few minutes) but reefgeek shipped me a replacement for free, without making me pay shipping (and wait) to return the bad bulb. Mad Props to Greg Morgan at reefgeek.com!

This light will be over a 30-breeder (36" long, 18" wide, very shallow tank) for grow-out of zooanthid colonies on live rock rubble. I will post a followup in a few months, after the T5 lights have been in use for a while.

need pics of it in your reef tank...

Would love to get the 24" long for my 20g Nano, but there is no actinic 03 version of the 24"bulb just the blue one...

Soon my friends...

• 5 months later...
MrConclusion

I still haven't set this light up on a tank, because I'm moving in a few months and have decided to wait... rather than creating another tank I'll need to move. This light will be going on a grow-out tank for zooanthid and frogspawn frags. I will post pictures of the project in progress when I have tham.

I also just bought most of the equipment for a 120 gallon reef, and I'll be combining the inhabitants of 3 of 10 gallon tanks (plus a lot more, eventually!) into it when I move. Half of the motivation for this tank is to have habitat for some fish I have always coveted, especially a Copperbanded Butterfly. With tha amount of aiptasia that's riding in on Florida LR, this shouldn't be a problem.

The 120 is an AGA 48"x24"x24" with dual overflows. It'll be set up with a large sump/refugium with lighting (to act as a macroalgae filter) and a decent sized Protein Skimmer. I have everything but lighting, sand, and live rock already in place. QUESTION - Is anyone interested in progress photos of this tank, or is it too large for this discussion board?

Come on MC......let's see some updates!

I'm planning a 20L SPS tank with only T5's and I'm really interested in your progress!....I'm looking at the 8x39W hood!

MC. Does the hood come with any fans built in? How close are you going to put them to the water and does it have an acrylic splash guard or anything?

• 1 month later...
MrConclusion

No fans installed or needed, it runs pretty cool with the electronic ballasts. There are cooling slots near the ballasts.

AMidnightSoul
Originally posted by MrConclusion

... QUESTION - Is anyone interested in progress photos of this tank, or is it too large for this discussion board?

I would be interested in progress photos of this tank.

ReeferMonkey

Nowhere in that article does it mention aiptasia in the Gulf of Mexico. Great link.

However, brief research on RC seems to indicate A. pallida, one of several species, does range in the Keys. I stand corrected.... partially.

If you'd like a more useful link on the subject,

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...t=aiptasia+gulf

Don't you love the finer points of internet communication?

ReefinReefer
Originally posted by MrConclusion

This light will be over a 30-breeder for grow-out of zooanthid colonies on live rock rubble.  

woa. t5's (6 of them!) for zooanthid prop tank? seems a bit overkill for me. In a shallow breeder tank, couldn't you get away with half the price and get PC's if all you were raising were zoos?

I'd rather put the t5's for slightly higher light loving corals..but that's JMO

;)

MrConclusion

jacquot385: JBJ is planning to release a "twin bulb" version of the nano cube... or a twin bulb hood for existing nano cubes, I have heard both versions of the story.

So, pretty soon you should be able to double the light without too much work or tank alteration. Try jbjlighting.com to see if there are any updates or an E.T.A. for the twin bulb unit.

MrConclusion

ReefinReefer:

T5s may be more than necessary, but I like the construction & quality of this light and wanted to try it out. The other light I was tempted to buy was a CSL Moonlight (twin PC for a very good price) but I had never tried T5s so it seemed like a good time to gain some experience. Plus, at 18 inches front-to-back, I like the way the T5 light would spread more light than a twin PC fixture.

• 2 months later...
MrConclusion

UPDATE:

I just got finished moving to my new house, and I will be setting up the zoo system with this light as soon as my new water softener is installed.

(The water softener has nothing to do with my tanks, but the place where the zoo system is destined to be will block easy access to the water softener's location, and I sure don't want to be forced to move three 30-gallon tanks just to get the plumbing work done!)

Archived