Cultivated Reef

New JBJ Nano Cube...now what?

aquaman67

I just bought a JBJ Nano Cube and am looking for tips and tricks to make it work...especially the built in filter. I've heard there are tricks to make it work right. Or should I do something else?

Any help?

aquaman67

I just took out all the filter stuff and put my heater back there... I just use LR and it works great.... I am in the process of adding a 32watt smartlight to the hood... and will be replaceing the noisy pump soon....

I just picked one up myself. Looks to me to be a great tank for a nano. I've ripped out all of the filtering stuff and am trying to figure out how I want to do circulation. With that back area, a closed loop would be very easy to do and look quite well. I'm just not sure how much flow to put into the tank. I'm new to nano reefs, and unfamiliar with all the little tricks and trades.

I plan to put a 1.5" layer of southdown for the sand bed, along with about 10 lbs. of live rock. after that, i think i'll upgrade the hood a bit, maybe double the lights, which will probably mean increased cooling, so hopefully a hood fan or two will do the job. i have a 50w heater that's going in the back area also.

the only thing i'm not sure on is flow. would a 500gph pump directed into say 3 1/2" jets be too much for atank this size? what is the ideal tank turn over rate?

as far as live stock, so far all iv'e got are a pair of black and white percs... not sure what i'm giong to to for coral. i've got a little bit of everything in my main system.

-TK

Archived