Pod Your Reef

Conch or Nassarius Snail?

Iphantom

Should I get a fighting conch or a nassarius snail for my 7 gallon mini bow?

I would rather get a fighting conch. Do they have any special requirements?

Is there a better alternative to these two?

-Matt

No special requirements. They do get big, but grow slowly, so get the smallest one you can find. They graze on algae all day long, so make sure your tank can produce enough food for them. I have 2 larger ones and a small one in my big reef - I'll probably relocate the small one to the nano once the cycle is complete.

I’ve heard you should have about 2 square feet of area for each Fighting Conch. I’ve always had a Nassarius in my Mini-Bow 7 and I just got a Fighting Conch for my 15 Long. Both are good snails, but I’d stick with the Nassarius for the 7-gallon. I also keep a Cerith Snail and 2 Nerite Snails in my Mini-Bow.

Iphantom, I'd get a handful of Nass. snails. You don't see them much, but they pop out of the sandbed occasionally. Then again, with those hermits, are you having problems keeping snails? I have scarlets, and they leave my snails alone, but I know others with red tips and blues that munch snails routinely.

Well I have been losing astrea snails latley but I think its more to them falling over and not being able to get back up(I right 2 or 3 of them every morning)

I also have margarita snails and have had no losses

I think the hermits are killing each other more then anything else

I think I am going to get one conch and see what happens

when its gets big I will give it to someone

if the conch doesnt work out then I will get some nas. snails

I just need somthing to get into the sand bed

thanks

-Matt

Fighting conch will get way to big, and they can grow quite fast. Growth really all depends on tank conditions. The nassarius snails won't be eating any algae but will get into the sand bed.

Why not go for some cerith snails? They'll get in the sand bed, lay eggs on the glass and feed your corals and eat algae as well. The best of everything.

HTH

Archived