Cultivated Reef

Questions about additives / supplements

zzpw3x

Hi all. First of all I am a newbie. I am in the process of getting together all of the hardware for a 10 gallon nano-reef that will hold mostly zoos, mushrooms, and other soft corals. As for exactly what, I am not sure yet.

Anyway, my question at this point has to do with supplements required for the corals. BTW, I plan on using a 4" DSB / LR for the bio filter (which will also help with the pH buffer I have been told). Basically, if i do 10-20% weekly change, what additives should I add? Currently, I plan on using something like Kent's Tech CB to ad calcium and increase the Alk. Should I plan on also adding things like Iodine, magnesium, strontium, etc? Or are these mostly needed for SPS's?

Also, what about food for them? I know some corals will each small pcs of shrimp directly fed, but what about the filter feeders? Would something like Kent's Micro Vert work well?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

-Dale

Um a DSB in a nano will be detrimental. WC's should be full of all the Ca and alk you need. You prolly wont need to dose anything else, as they can be filled with weekly WC's

As far as feeding, I recommend some Cyclopeeze. Is this what you should do? You decide, there is a search button on this site, search on DSB's and what other people dose. I dose nothing, but someone else mite dose something.

I dont like kalkwasser cause that crap takes about a week of mixing in a bucket, you really need to know what you are doing. if you just put it in a tank it precipitates out onto the LS and LR and looks nasty, not only that you get effed in your params... just my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free

I wouldn't worry too much about dosing until you discover that you need to. Get your system set up and running and monitor the water chem (pH, calcium, alk, etc.) Depending on your salt mix and your livestock you may or may not need to dose.

What you feed is also dependent on what livestock you keep. Some inverts like mushrooms, anemones etc. will take larger food while others will do well with phytoplankton and/or zooplankton.

Do a LOT of reading on what you plan on buying to be sure you know its requirements beforehand.

Good luck!

Archived