Innovative Marine Aquariums

Good lighting for a new nano 10 gal.

jiminy_crime

Hi ya'll,

Looking for some good lighting for a 10 gal. nano? I have about 15 lb.s of LR in it that is cycling at the moment.

Also do I need a skimmer for a 10? Will water changes every week suffice? Any help for a new nanoer would be greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of choices for 10g lighting. Check out www.HelloLights.com to start with. There are 2x40watters w/moonlights. 96watt PowerQuads. You can also go with Metal Halides if you have the cash or mind to.

Some come equipped with legs to mount right onto your tank. Others come with fans for cooling. You can even customize your own canopy and use retrofit lighting to match your nmeeds and/or pocketbook.

Skimmers are by and large uneccessary. Weekly WC's will do fine. I do a 1g a week and every other week I do a 2g. Supplement with SeaChem Reef complete.

What I find is one of the best parts of nano-reefing is the research and reading up on new and/por different products. I have one big wish list to say the least. So take a swing through the sponsor section, check out the member tanks. Try a search on lighting, or even gadzooks, venture over to the Lighting Forum and now don't be scared....... Read a few threads on lighting 10g's there!

Above all else... Have FUN!

Custom Sea Life (72W), Coralife 96W, and JBJ Lighting (?W) are about the only choices I have found for a 10G nano, unless you go the DIY / retrofit course. They all look good but the Custom See Life has moon lighting included for what that is worth.

Moonlighting is nice, lights dimm off, which creates a realistic dawn dusk effect for the fishies. Moonlighting is next for me, I went on the cheap for lighting, I say, dont skimp on lighting

Big deal dont buy a lighting system just because it has a moon light. I know thats the big hype right now, but all it is is an LED light which you can make yourself for like 10 bucks or buy the CSL moonlight for like $25. I have the Coralife 96w quad with CSL moonlight and its kick ass. Much better than my friends CSL power compact moonlight all in one setup. And by the way it looks a hell of a lot cooler....

Archived