ReefCleaners.org

Noobie question?

gbishop

Hi all,

As I am a complete beginner and am still trying to come to terms with all the different methods regarding setting up marine environment, could somebody please explain the purpose and benefit of using a fuge and what size in ratio to the main tank is recommended?

Also regarding flow, with my tank being so tall, with approx 10 inches of clear water above my LR, where would be best to create the flow, near the top so as to break the water's surface, or further down near the LR etc?

Regards

Gary

In the words of another person, to save the noob from using the search button at the upper right hand corner

madjack answered this best so here is his direct quote from a previous post asking the same question:

"a refugium is a body of water separate from the main tank, the refuguim allows pods(small shrimp things) to breed up in number without predation, thier young then enter the main tank and are a great alternative food source. A refugium also adds another element of biological filteration, the algae grown in a refugium uses up nuterients, minimising algal blooms in the main tank"

Basically, it is a refuge for more delicate animals, as well as a place to grow macroalgae, which will, hopefully, help to reduce nuisance algal growth in the main tank.

perhaps it would be good to have a strong PH at the top to break the surface and a smaller one at the bottom pointed upwards. HTH

Archived