Pod Your Reef

The great clam debate!

Nina

Who has clams in a 10-20 gal? Is this a stupid thing to try? I'm looking into setting up another tank and was going to go ahead and get MH if (monthes down the road) I could get a squamosa.

Anybody having success with clams? If so I would love more input.

A great starter clam is a Derasa. They will stay smaller than your squamosa(still out grow a 20 gallon though). I would first have Good PC lighting (2x36 for a 10; 2x65 for a 20). Then I would make sure that my Ca levels are at least 400, and finally I would make sure my tank is about 3-4 moths old and stable. Once all that is in place it never hurts to dose with some DT's and you should have decent success with Derasas.

What type of lighting do you have now?

right now I have the junky 30wat that came with my Via-aqua, I have just shrooms, rics, and xenia in the tank, I was looking into the CSL 130 wat PC at the LFS, they didnt have MH but I'm still reaserching those . I alredy dose 2x a week with DT's and my CA at 400

I have a crocea in my 7g under 64w pc's for about 4-5 months now. I also have a squamosa in the same tank for about 3 months.

The crocea is at the top about 5" from the light and the squamosa is on the sand bed about 12" from the light.

Archived