Cultivated Reef

Callithamnion aka Cotton Candy Algae

NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

I got some LR off a local guy who just broke down his reef. I put in a couple pieces (the two top ones that are really growing in the photo) into my fuge in a effort to "seed" it.

fuge-1.gif

Those two pieces have taken off with a few types of algae, no CUC yet, which i let grow b/c it looked cool in the fuge.

Now the other LR (the LR i did not get from the local reefer) is starting to grow some red puffy stuff.

CIMG4604.gif

algeaq.gif

close.gif

Not sure what it is, or what i should i do. Im getting nervious all this algae is going to spread the main tank b/c im not sure what it is.

Please help :unsure:

Tanque Verde

That appears to be cotton candy algae. You can learn more on the nuisance algae thread. I have no sense of whether it would jump from fuge to display (I assume it would). It grows quickly. I believe turbos eat it.

NanoReefNovice
Coralline algae?

I thought at first but now its getting puffy and fuzzy looking, does coralline do that? :huh:

That appears to be cotton candy algae. You can learn more on the nuisance algae thread. I have no sense of whether it would jump from fuge to display (I assume it would). It grows quickly. I believe turbos eat it.

That's what i thought but it really doesn't have the branching structure that i see in the pictures of Callithamnion aka Cotton Candy Algae. If it is hope it doesnt go to the display. :scarry:

NanoReefNovice
the cotton candy I know is less branchy and more fuzzy, hence the name. see here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...mp;ppuser=30190

Whatever it is, given it's apparent dispersion and propagation, it were my fuge and I didn't want that growth in my display, I'd probably pull the rock. Better safe than sorry.

I saw that photo but have failed to see another example similar on the web. All other photos look something like this...

http://www.cultinfo.ru/fulltext/1/001/010/001/279211784.jpg

or this

http://www.guiamarina.com/balticsea/02%20P...0corymbosum.jpg

but i agree, its prob cotton candy...

Would it work to remove the rock, scrub it, and put it back in, or will it just grow back?

I already checked out johns thread, but wasn't sure it matched any of the examples, should i post a pic on there?

When you ask for help, you should make it a habit to follow and read the links people post for you.

Callithamnion aka Cotton Candy Algae

cottoncandyalgae.JPG

Scientific Description: The pictured specimen is quite good looking, it usually appears as a light pink fuzz. It is not course, and should sway in the current. (Stiff specimens are likely to be other species that look similar). The macro has very fine "branches" that are covered in even finer hairs. The plants are very small.

Manual Removal - Easy if it hasn't taken hold in places your fingers won't fit.

Clean Up Crew- Emerald Crabs, urchins, sea hares, large turbos, and some of the larger hermits.

Why it happened - You didn't quarantine, and you have available nutrients for it.

Starving it out - Use a phosban reactor or a macro like chaeto to take down phosphate. If you have a nitrate problem too, you can add more live rock or rubble to the tank, do some more wcs, add macro, add dsb, etc...

John's Tip - This algae is not widespread in nature, but can be locally abundant. It seems to be coming in on frags, and most of the people I know with it have received it on a traded frag. You can just pick this one out manually if it hasn't made it way to the crevices of your rockwork.

NanoReefNovice
When you ask for help, you should make it a habit to follow and read the links people post for you.

Sorry, i did check out ultimate id and johns nuisance algae thread before i posted this thread. I wasnt sure that it looked like cotton candy algea or any of the other examples so i made a new thread. I didnt want the OP saying "i think it is cotton candy algae" so people can come to independent identifications to help me conclude mine is correct, not just agree w/me. Thank you for helping me.

It's not a problem but perhaps you missed the part:

Scientific Description: The pictured specimen is quite good looking, it usually appears as a light pink fuzz. It is not course, and should sway in the current. (Stiff specimens are likely to be other species that look similar). The macro has very fine "branches" that are covered in even finer hairs. The plants are very small.

If that describes yours, you should post about it in John's thread and see if we can't get more info from him.

NanoReefNovice

Yes i did read all that. It looks maroon and red, no pink. I cant see a branching structure yet but maybe its too soon or my eyes are not good enough. It does not sway in the current but maybe its still to small for that, it is not coarse of stiff. Ill post on the nuisance algae thread so seek John's expertise.

johnmaloney

it was one of the species. there is like 20 in florida alone they all look alike except different color, microscopic differences.. but that is what you got.

Tanque Verde
I saw that photo but have failed to see another example similar on the web. All other photos look something like this...

here's some more on the fuzzy variety:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pink_cotton_algae.html

melev's site is an excellent reference, well worth the bookmark. On his cotton candy page, he links this article, which contains pix very similar to yours:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/nftt/index.php

NanoReefNovice
it was one of the species. there is like 20 in florida alone they all look alike except different color, microscopic differences.. but that is what you got.

Thanks John! :happy: I just posted it up on your nuisance algae thread. -_- Not what do i do, it in the fuge so i could easily remove the rocks and scrub em. Would that work?

here's some more on the fuzzy variety:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pink_cotton_algae.html

melev's site is an excellent reference, well worth the bookmark. On his cotton candy page, he links this article, which contains pix very similar to yours:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/nftt/index.php

sweet pics, thanks a lot. :D

johnmaloney

scrubbing will help, but there holdfast is likely to remain and it is likely to persist. Dental pick would be much better, a gang of larger hermits even better. seems like a lot of holes and caves so I am not sure a tubor would get in there, but it is an edible algae you shouldn't have trouble with. I have honestly never been able to keep it alive, I used to try. What else is in the refuge? Can you just leave it in the dark?

NanoReefNovice
scrubbing will help, but there holdfast is likely to remain and it is likely to persist. Dental pick would be much better, a gang of larger hermits even better. seems like a lot of holes and caves so I am not sure a tubor would get in there, but it is an edible algae you shouldn't have trouble with. I have honestly never been able to keep it alive, I used to try. What else is in the refuge? Can you just leave it in the dark?

Yea i can leave it in the dark. :) The fuge just has some some cheato. So yea i can remove that and put is display for now. How long do i have leave the fuge lights out you think? Would it come back after? Thanks again.

Edit: is it possible for it to spread to main tank?

NanoReefNovice
yes. at least twice as long as it takes to kill it, and yes but not too likely.

thanks. So im thinking im going to scrub it off then keep the lights out for a couple weeks. good?

johnmaloney

when you scrub it make sure you are not throwing bits off into the tank. if one lands you spread it. Tweezers or something other than scrubbing. Scrubbing really makes like a 100 cuttings to send out. (If we are talking about a rinse afterwards and inspection to make sure a piece didn't stick to another part of the rock that is different. With the said it is edible you don't have byropsis or anything.

NanoReefNovice

Now I'm thinking of doing a water change and tweeze off all the callithamnion off the rock in half the old water bucket. Then go lights out for awhile, with a couple scarlet reef hermits and nassarius snails. good? or do think it is better to throw some cleaners in there and not worry about it?

Archived