inTank Media Baskets

38 US Gal Tank

ianbar

Hi,

I've got a 38 Gallon (30" x 15" x 20") tank that I would like to convert to marine. My LFS says live rock is a luxury and get a prizm skimmer instead. I want a fish only set up so whats the best filteration method. My current equipment is:

2 x 100W tronic heaters

1 x Fluval 204 Ext. Filter

1 x D&D Megatwin retrofit light (with marine bulbs).

1 x rena 100 airpump and air stone.

First I've heeard of a LFS turning down selling live rock for a tank and offering a skimmer instead. Huh.

Actually, for a Fish-only tank, the live rock is not necessary, but in its absence, a good or great skimmer would be your best bet.

Depending on your bio-load, more skimmer-more better. Personally, I'd go with something bigger than you think you need, in case the decision to buy more fish gets ahold of you.

Mixed reviews on the Prizm, and that's on smaller tanks with light bioload. Perhaps consider the Remora w/ Mag upgrade. I've yet to hear a complaint about this skimmer, aside from possibly it's price. And that's usually from folks looking to buy them, not those that have already purchased one.

Not familiar with the lighting, what's the wattage and type (PC or flourescnet). If you are doing a fish only, high lighting is not necessary.

Archived