Pod Your Reef

Dear Canada

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

Looking for some of our neighbors to the north to sell our products to other Canadians, or who would like to organize a group buy. We get plenty of emails about it each week, some extra money for the right kind of college kid or serious hobbyist who want the hobby to pay for itself.

I r b Canada 2.

I'm in Cowtown. Going to Vancouver this coming Wednesday for easter vacation.

I'd be interested in group buying. We usually get raped on shipping from the US though. *sniffle* :eek:

johnmaloney
I r b Canada 2.

I'm in Cowtown. Going to Vancouver this coming Wednesday for easter vacation.

I'd be interested in group buying. We usually get raped on shipping from the US though. *sniffle* :eek:

there are ways to make the macro shipping affordable. for a large macro group buy. For a large group buy I will get you free shipping. Problem with a GB is you need someone to be able to hold it, customs on your end is very thorough, and delays may result. I think I can get shipping pretty reasonable, if not free for a gb.

johnmaloney

bump over my other threads in line, sorry other sponsors but I am bumping over myself - so please be patient with me.

Yeah, Customs is always fun. I used to travel to the US every week (~205 days on the road in total a year).

Both sides are a pain at times. Depends on the guy.

What about brokerage? I know taxes are my own fun. :bling:

Thx.

I thought you were Cdn too, did you get the Cowtown reference?

johnmaloney
Yeah, Customs is always fun. I used to travel to the US every week (~205 days on the road in total a year).

Thx.

+1 depends on who you get for sure. with our stuff it isn't like they are being difficult, keeping out invasive plants is no doubt huge on their list, so customs delays are expected while they verify.

Cowtown - you live out in the middle of nowhere right? That is what it means here.

With hobbyist Gb purchases duties will be higher per item no doubt, I will cover it with a discount though of 25% off the order. Will bring the value and taxes down legitimately, and the cost you bear in taxes will probably bring you back to store price. What happened to NAFTA?

Brokerage? What is that? How do I make money off it?

johnmaloney

Thx.

+1 depends on who you get for sure. with our stuff it isn't like they are being difficult, keeping out invasive plants is no doubt huge on their list, so customs delays are expected while they verify.

Cowtown - you live out in the middle of nowhere right? That is what it means here.

With hobbyist Gb purchases duties will be higher per item no doubt, I will cover it with a discount though of 25% off the order. Will bring the value and taxes down legitimately, and the cost you bear in taxes will probably bring you back to store price. What happened to NAFTA?

johnmaloney

Depends on who you get for sure. with our stuff it isn't like they are being difficult, keeping out invasive plants is no doubt huge on their list, so customs delays are expected while they verify.

cow-town = Calgary Alberta

Brokerage = PITA charge you a fee to inspect and clear your package through customs (don't even inspect it, usually someone on the phone will clear it from miles away...rip-off)

a large group buy would be sweet i know for a fact here in Lethbridge there is absolutley no coral available period!!

There is usually a few classified ads from Canada to Canada... ;)

a large group buy would be sweet i know for a fact here in Lethbridge there is absolutley no coral available period!!
johnmaloney

Ontario is where we get most of the requests from. I get at least 60 emails a week from Canada.

Must be a Canadian thing, I didn't know Calgary had cows. Or that livestock could survive in Canada. Have you ever seen Dr Zhivago? That is how I picture Canada. :) (That is actually how I picture Ohio, so don't take offense).

Walking_Target

If you need help with the customs end of things, I am a graduate of the International Trade and Logistics program at Sir Sandford Fleming College (only course of it's type in the country).

Wouldn't be much good to you as a broker/transhipper at the moment though, as my lights and tank are still on their way to me.

johnmaloney

we get it through, and with plants a delay isn't a major deal, but it helps a lot to know the procedures in case of a delay. Our German distributor handles things very efficiently, and it has helped us with their customs, which require vet certifications etc...

Get lights for your tank! :) How old is it? First tank?

Walking_Target

First reef...

I've successfully raised Amano shrimps from larvae to juvies (and killed all but one of them by dropping salinity too fast :( ) and had a hand in many FO/FOWLR systems, as well as helping with a friend's 55g reef (how i learned clowns bite...)

Setting up a 20g High with 130w PC (Current USA Satellite 2x65w , going to retrofit with Cold Cathode Mod). Still concerned over the level of light (too much i think...).

Liverock should be arriving sometime near the middle of the month. It's supposed to be a mix of Tonga and Vanuatu, although i hear with this supplier i might show up to a box of Irian Jaya or Bali Alor along with the Vanuatu or in place of the Tonga. Depends on what they get in and when. Hoping to add the first corals or fish at the end of june or early july. definitely not rushing this!.

As for customs, it is possible to get it cleared ahead of time in some cases. with the Canada/US border, there are several programs designed to get shipments through the border faster, the main thing is to have it pre-inspected by US customs and with the proper paperwork; I know Canadian customs is a PITA, but i'll take a look through my HS books and see if I can't find an easier solution.

I know one of the suppliers that usually ships here has had good luck with private carriers and airport-to-airport transactions.

Walking_Target

Meh, customs doesn't check ever shipment, nor are all suppliers totally honest about what they get in. They may claim it's Tonga and it's not, or their importer may be lying to customs about what they're bringing in.

It only hurts them if they get caught, so sometimes it can be extremely profitable to sneak in a few boxes here and there.

that being said, i don't endorse lying to customs, because if you do get caught, it can really hurt too.

johnmaloney

you could also get some back stock. i know a lfs owner that was mad that they had to wait like 5 extra months to get their rock in from tonga. apparently the ban went into effect after it had reached the states, and when she got it people lined up b/c it was the only TLR show in town.

Walking_Target

huh... I didn't even think of Nafta, so long as your stock was bred in the US, you should be able to sell it under NAFTA, i'll look up what it will take to get you certification.

Archived