inTank Media Baskets

How much light for an AGA 5g minbow?

darkgumby

I'm thinking of just using one of the Coral Life screw-in 10 watt 50/50 CF lights in a stock AGA 5 gallon minibow. Will that be enough light to start out?

I know that it all depends on what I intend to keep. Since I've never kept sw before I don't really know what I want. My plan is to put in the live rock and see what grows out of it. If it survives and thrives then it's all good. Later when I know more then I'll adjust the lighting to suit the inhabitants.

Will the single light be enough for something, anything to grow out of the LR?

Depends.......some of the more vibrant Coralline (marroons, greens, etc) probably won't make it. You should still see some pink and maybe purple. Feather dusters, sponges, and most other hitchers don't really need light, unless you get a zoo or shroom.

I say plan on at least 32W for a softy tank and double that if you plan to keep other corals.

I have 52W on my 5 AGA, and all everything seems very happy!

So, I probably should plan on a custom hood with more lights. Would a pair of the coral life screw in 50/50s and a pair of the 65ks work ok? I could put all 4 in mounted vertically all across the hood.

I've read a few threads here about how great the screw in CFs are, will I get enough light from them into a 5g minibow?

Does a CF screw in actinic exist?

I want to use the screw in lights because I don't want to mess with remote ballests and a lot of wiring issues.

A little more reading and I have discovered that the coral life 50/50 comes in a 20 watt version.

My revised plan is to use 2 of these to start and then add up to 2 more if needed. I'd think that 40 watts for a newbie with room to go up to 80 watts for whatever I decide I want to keep will be fine in a little 5 gal tank.

Of course I'll leave plenty of room for fans in my hood design.

I'll take pics and post plans when I get started.

Archived