inTank Media Baskets

Brute 32 Gallon Trashcan

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

I'm filling up my Brute 32 gallon trash can right now with RO/DI water, anyone know where I can stop the water to know how many gallons I have? I don't have a way to measure how much I'm making.

nano tanker rob

the way i do it is just bring a 5 gallon bucket with me and fill up the 5 gallon then dump it in count the 5 gallons until you have the amount you want. cuz i have a 30 gallon trash can i use and i fill it up at my school every month with ro water for free we have 19 salt water tanks at my school

so like get the 5 gallon fill it up dump it in the 32 gallon and repeat and just count..

TriggerHappyDude

I do that but didn't feel like babysitting it tonight, so wondered if anyone knows the Brute...otherwise I do it the way you mention.

• 10 months later...
TriggerHappyDude

Bringing up an old topic...

For those that use this 32gallon trash can to store salt water, where do you fill it to to know exactly how many gallons of water you have in it, so you know exactly how much salt to mix with it?

I would do what Rob said a year ago - fill it with water from a full 5g bucket and mark the outside of the Brute each time to essentially create a graduated cylinder with 5g intervals.

• 1 month later...

I am also really curious about this. I use the same trash can and I am never sure how much water to remove from the tank when doing the water change so that I am not short handed when I go to top off. Gotta love having a tank with 1" of space at the top and no more saltwater. I almost always end up mixing a new batch and topping off the next day, lol.

Something just occured to me. You could put the can on a house hold scale and use the wieght to calculate gallons (8.34#/gal). I know most house hold scales aren't super accurate but it would give you a fairly close estimate.

lakshwadeep

+1 to just filling it in and marking at intervals for true accuracy. Alternatively, you could fill it up to some noticeable mark already present and keep adding salt (remembering how much was added) until it comes to your desired salinity.

It may also be useful to have a smaller container, with markings, for making small batches of water.

YouKnowBlev

You just have to measure it out ONCE and mark. Tell the procrastination to GTFO. Just think, you'll never have to find this thread again.

fill it call it 32 and add that much salt there 32 gallons of salt water even if its not to the very top your salintity in thirty two gallons of water will differ maybe .005

Amphiprion1

Well, I stop mine at 4" below the rim of the can, and that comes to about 28 gallons--enough to fill four of those 7gal blue "Aquatainers" you get at Wal-Mart.

disaster999

another approach to this problem

we know 1 gallon of water is 3.785 liters. and 1 liter of water is 1kg, 2.2lb. 30gal of water is 250lb

get a big enough bathroom scale and put the trashcan on, mark the weight of the can. fill up the trashcan and wait until it reaches 250 pounds + the weigh of the trashcan. and there you go you now have your 30gal mark in the trash can.

sure theres different specific weight at different temperatures and pure H2O is different than tap water blah blah blah, but this is as close as you can get

Archived