SaltCritters.com

Wildlife Encounters

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

I was thinking of starting a guide service. Probably focus on finding manatee, bottlenose dolphin (river variation probably), eagle rays, loggerhead and alligator. (Probably some bait schooling too, amazing dive probably be a favorite). Birds, scenery habitat along the way etc... Snorkeling in saltwater environments, not in the freshwater though. (Murky from tannins). Everything geared towards the beginner.

I am not looking for clients, this plan is further down the road when I get a little too old to be going around in rough weather. Just some input on what naturalists would want to see, and I know a few of them are here. What are the things you have found to be the mark of a quality guide service?

I miss my time down in Port Charlotte, canoeing up the Peace River. What I wouldn't give to live on the Peace river again:)

Manatees are always a huge attraction, along with birds. What part of florida are you in?

johnmaloney
I miss my time down in Port Charlotte, canoeing up the Peace River. What I wouldn't give to live on the Peace river again:)

Manatees are always a huge attraction, along with birds. What part of florida are you in?

would be the Indian River Lagoon area probably and the Okeechobee waterways. I think the IRL dolphins are a lot easier to find, and put on a show. You can view them underwater at a distance too and not be intimidated. Their larger relatives in the Atlantic are always going somewhere it seems. River dolphins will spend hours in certain locations, schooling mullet... Brids are everywhere along the way, so that is something to mix in I think. I know a few nests, and will probably know a few more by then. Jonathan Dickinson Park is great for birds if you want to find them no hassle. Take the prescribed route (you only get one) from the canoe rental place and you will see lots of different species.

Archived