inTank Media Baskets

Yellow striped maroon clown

Andy16

HOw would 1 yellow striped maroon clown do in a 20 gallon tank? I know they are the most aggresive clownfish and get fairly large, but i am not getting a pair only one.

My brotehr had one nad he said they are really only aggresive to anyhting that looks like a clown. OR at least taht was his experience. He bought a juvinile coris wrasse and the clown killed in right when he got it but never bothered and of his other fish like his tangs and gobies.

Mine chases my pygmy angel around a bit, but it's not a problem. It's a great looking fish.

I am planning on removing this fish though as it is just going to get too big for my tank.

My huble opinion would say stay away from the maroon clown. The ladies get huge in terms of clownfish and will easily take over your twenty gallon. Especially if they have an anemone they wish to protect. I've seen some giant brutes, and as they get older their color darkens and is less attractive. If you awnt other fish I would look into other clownfish. You can find nice captive bred black ocellaris. They are usually pretty close in price to gold bar maroons.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a yellow stripe maroon clown in a 10g for 4 years untill i returned her.they are aggresive but as it was the only fish in the tank since there was no one to pick on she would take her aggresion out on the rock and sand often rearranging the tank to suit her.

so in my opion 1 would be fine but you would be ultra limited on what would survive in the tank with the maroon

These two get along well.... at first my clown was a little agressive, but once I got a home for the clown, they get along great..... my 2 cents...

Archived