Top Shelf Aquatics

fuge questions pros:cons

brahm

What are the pro's and cons of a fuge? I have an Aqua 300 that i'm currently using as a surface skimmer/carbon bag holder and was intrested in the idea of a fuge. How hard is it to keep mysis in them? Also, If I want to put LR and LS in the fuge. (the LR will already be cured) but do i have to cycle the LS?

Thanks

tank spec is a 30g, PC 35lr I have a CPR bak-pak, my tank is mainly reef, with a few to many fish, some inverts, and a small army "aka-cleanup squad"

are you planning to convert you 300 into a fuge, buying a cpr aquafuge or doing a custom thing?

fuges help stabilize your tank by giving it more water volume. it also gives you room to hide/put your heater, skimmer, and macros. it provides your tank more natural food source by allowing pods to breed and multiply w/o being eaten. you can also put a dsb in there if you want. it just gves you so much more options imo.

i you got the money, do a custom sump and fuge. now that would be cool!

i guess the cons is that you'll spend more money...

putting cured lr in there would be fine... ls will be just fine too, you'll have a little die-off but your tank is established, it will be fine, just test water specs and do a water change if needed.

just my 2 pennies!!!

I was thinking about converting the 300 after reading some of the posts on the topic. I don't have enough room for a sump (Unless of course anybody has any tips on relocating a stock tank (i'd really like to put it on a proper stand) or even to add anything else that might HOB. between the Skimmer and the 300 already. My water volume won't increase since the 300 is already in place as a filter. DSB.. would be cool, but I don't want to risk killing anything in my main tank....

I don't see a Con for running a fuge unless you half-ass the plumbing and destroy something/flood something/torch something.

There are a TON of threads on the AC300 fuges....

I always wondered how enough macro could grow in a AC300 to make a difference on larger nano's though.

Ok, so I picked up a fuge this weekend, It is a 24" Cpr Fuge, (10 gal est) It was on an established tank I bought it from a fellow nano-reef.com member. It's hooked up and running great, no die off as of yet (xenia seems happier). Inside the fuge is a DSB about 3-3.5" of Live sand, and some LR and a ball of macro algie, what does everybody recommend I place in the fuge?

• 2 weeks later...

One possible Con that I am concerned about but have found little information on is the possible release of noxious compounds by various types of algae, IE caulerpa primarily. There is some thoughts that caulerpa releases some nasty stuff that can be bad for corals in high enough concentration, and why some people stress the use of skimmers and chemical filtration in conjunction with a refugium. I will admit i havent searched to thoroughly on the subject but somthing iv been considering lately.

pros: nutrient export and pod reproduction being boosted

cons:none, depending on how you keep it. The release of harmful compounds happens when the lights go off...reverse synthesis...releasing CO2, lowering pH, etc. This is why many leave their lights on a fuge 24/7 (i do). So i suppose a con would be leaving on the lights (electrical bill goes up a little)! The only other nutrient release possible is if the macro goes sexual...when the cells leave their husks and turn the tank into pea soup and leave a colorless shell behind. To avoid these 'blooms' people prune their macro on a regular basis, as well as leave the lights on 24/7 (the light cycle is responsible for the timing on these blooms, so 24/7 light disrupts this). So what I am trying to say is: the con that Fant is talking about can be avoided...good point however.

caulerpa is illegal in California, so not too worried about it. Get some brillo/spaghetti macro in there. You might get some macro growing on your LR soon, just pull it off (!) and throw it in the fuge.

Im not talkin about Co2 release, because the Co2 release of photosynthesis isnt dependant on the presence or absence of light, it can happen any time. Im referring to a real possibility of chemical warfare between certain types of aglae and the corals we try to keep.

Archived