SaltCritters.com

Cardinals eating their young

Jahkaya

CalciumOverdose

BIG FISH EATS SMALL FISH. enough said

i know at first, they seem to protect their young, offspring, sons, daughters, kids, whatever.

but after all that, any fish would eat or attack a small fish :)

After the release.. the parents will eat the young.. the female especially. You could maybe provide shelter with an artificial urchin. some shiskabob sticks in a wadd of reef puddy, or small holes drilled into chunk of live rock. But if u want any chance of the fry surviving, they will need to be fed. Initially live foods are more readily accepted. Here you luck out and baby brine shrimp can be used as the first food. If you want to rear them they will need to be moved to a seperate system and fed at least 2 times daily. Or if your lucky enough and have a large MATURE and DIVERSE refugium it is possible to just let them be and never really need to feed them. But in a main tank with adult fish chances of survival are slim to none.

In my experiences they will and tedn to eat them the first couple of batches they birth. After a few times they kinda get the point and will begin to protect them to a point. Seperation is a good thing if you have another tank.

Cameron

Some fish (i.e. cichlids) care for their young. But this is the exception and not the rule.

I know a guy here who keeps producing bangaii cardinals in his tank. They eat their young, but the survivors are the ones that find their way to the sump. He lets them stay there until bigger.

even cichlids will eat their young. especially in the first few batches. usually people will spaerate the young from the parents until that are bigg enough to avoid being eaten.

Archived