inTank Media Baskets

clownfish swimming only at the top

gookster

i just got a false perc and he only swims near the top. whenever he swims down he just floatas back up to the top. is there something wrong with him (air bladder or something) or does he just maybe like the top?

my maroon seems like he'd be happy in a cup of water, he spends 90% of his time paddling through the current of the powerhead intake... when i feed the tank he starts swimming all over the place, very excited.

It differs with individuals. I used to have 5 clowns, but only one stayed at the surface. It rarely swam in mid-water or at the bottom, unless the lights were switched off at night.

Originally posted by ####ster

i just got a false perc and he only swims near the top.  

is your tank done cycling?

are there other fish that are bothering him?

how many days have you had the clown?

does he eat?

Originally posted by mattie

is your tank done cycling?

are there other fish that are bothering him?

how many days have you had the clown?

does he eat?

my tank is done cycling. the only other fish is a yellow tailed damsel and hes a little ***** (which is his name). i just put him in yesterday, after transporting him in a bucket for 24 hours with an airstone. i saw him eat a little today and he went to teh bottom real quick but then he just floats back up to the top.

yellow tails are mean.(but maybe not the problem)

if he's eating thats a good sign

if he was a healthy swimmer when you first got him and now he's near the surface and near the glass or a corner it could be shock. just make sure everything in tank is on target temp,salinity,ph,amonia nitrates,etc

and make sure he's not picked on. hopefully he just needs time to adjust to the different water and the trip in the bucket could have been a big stress on him.

unless you see something that would tell you he's sick or injured just give him another day or 2

hopefully tomorrow he will feel better

mine has been healthy, eating, perfect for 3 months, but stays right near the filter. i wanna make a divider and make him stay on the bottom half or something :P

What type of circulation and surface agitation do you have? Might be an indication that circulation might now be moving enough oxygenated water to the lower area of the tank.

Originally posted by kennerd

What type of circulation and surface agitation do you have?  Might be an indication that circulation might now be moving enough oxygenated water to the lower area of the tank.

i got a 100gph filter and another powerhead runnign at about 70 gph. the damsel isnt near the surface gasping for breath. its almost like he floats up there.

i just saw the damsel doing some fin nipping. ill wait it out and if the aggression continues ill get rid of it. i thinkt ahts why the clown is staying up there.

it will continue fin nipping cause damsels are ultra territorial and he already know his way around they tank

and the real bad news is good luck getting the damsel out without removeing the rocks

aquariumclown

I did the same thing when I first started this hobby, put a blue damsel and a clown together. It stressed out the clown fish big time. I found out later cause when I took the damsel out, the clown was happy go lucky, no more nervousness.

Also my maroon clown swam at the top of the tank when I first got him, until I got him a Bubble tip anemone. He got into that anemone and became attached to it like a baby with a woobie.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived