SaltCritters.com

Bluest MH 20k Bulb

snostorm

I know how you feel. I edit all the time. :lol:

It seems as though the whiter look of the 14K must be due to the peaks between 580-600 and 6060-680 nm. The rest of the spectra looks very similar.

I'm surprised that the PAR (or PPFD in Sanjay parlance) is that much different considering those strong peaks down low. Somewhere in his discussion articles is the methodology of how he calculated it but I'm not going to hunt for it. Suffice it to say the EVC's are making my corals grow very well.

I still wonder if those curves should be directly compared. It doesn't look like he corrected for the different baselines.

I haven't read his method so I can't critique directly but I wonder if he generated those using a properly calibrated absolute spectral irradience setup or if he just did some quick and dirty relative irradience stuff like I have done in other threads here.

I know is a MH specrum god and everything but those curves make me go <_<.

Tanque Verde
The radium doesn't wash out the tank like a phoenix does.

Glenn, please say more about this. What do you mean that the Phoenix washes out the tank?

I'm such a tease :P

seriously you are! Adds an inch total width to what? and what about length?

jamesnmandy

i have heard of them, havent seen one in person, and to those saying a phoenix 14k is a 14k labeled 20k bulb, i say no, having run both, the phoenix 14k is not on the same level of blue as a XM 20k

+1 on the radiums, when I used halides those were the nicest bluest bulbs by far, they seemed to put out like twice the amount of light than the xm's did.

I've already got another teaser going on in the Pico forum. That one requires much less work.

Just make sure you focus on your priorities here....k :P

Sorry guys. Driver didn't work out the way I hoped, so it's back to the drawing board. I will have a better solution for next weekend.

• 9 months later...

XM 20k is about the bluest bulb out there, very low PAR though.

Radium has just about as much blue, but also has more crisp white... a FAR more beautiful light that satisfies blue and white lovers alike. also has a lot higher PAR, more PAR than a lot of 14k bulbs.

Radium is one of a kind, it will burn bluer on an electronic ballast (but really it's just dimmer TBH) run it on an ANSI m80 or m81 magnetic HQI ballast for it's true colors, pics don't do it justice either, and e-ballasts don't do it justice either (looks more like a phoenix on an eballast)

Archived