Cultivated Reef

October photo of 18gal Via Aqua.

Cyber

Thank you everyone.

Kirklan - The original light came with 2x36W, 1x7100K and 1x12000K. I just replaced the 7100K with a 10,000K (it's been almost a year old). I also bought the actinic 03 to replace the 12,000K but I didnt like the actinic 03 look. It's too purple so I put back the 12,000K. So, the tank is currently has 10,000K and 12,000K. It's sufficient enough to keep a lot of things for nano. I like the slick look of the via aqua and I aint going to replace that light fixture with anything that will ruin the artistic look of the tank. A nano should look like a slice of the ocean, not a life support machine for the corals with all the wires running into it. HAHAHA :D

Cyber

Originally posted by Cyber

Thank you everyone.

A nano should look like a slice of the ocean, not a life support machine for the corals with all the wires running into it. HAHAHA :D  

Cyber

Agreed!! I saw one of those tanks at my LFS just after I bought my JBJ Nano and was wondering if that was a better option. If I remenber right it is thicker at the bottom and slowly tapers all the way to the top, right. Very nice looking tank though. Any problems with aquascaping? I love the large footprint on the bottom to put items in the sand , but also providing vertical space for the rock loving corals.

It's very wide (not a square as the 12gal JBJ). Aquascaping is a blast. If you look at the photos of my tank under Discover area, you will see that I did all kind of scaping, hehe. It has alot of room if you compare to a standard tank. If you compare with the 12Gal JBJ, I think JBJ has more room for aquascaping but JBJ has less light power than the Via Aqua. Also you dont want to remove the JBJ canopy to replace the light because basically, you get the JBJ for the slick look of it. I think you can try to update the light of the JBJ to 2x24W or something. I think 36W bulb is too long for your JBJ. Is your ballast is remote? Via Aqua has remote ballast which is a big plus.

Cyber

I've run the figures and can fit an additional 28 or 32 watt bulb in the JBJ hood (others have done it also). The ballast is not remote but can be made so by a little bit of rewiring. Maybe the via aqua will be my next nano!

I wish I had gotten the open hood model! Nice tank, I have the Via aqua closed hood and am kicking myself for not getting the pc lights! Have you tried clams? I'm trying to figure out is that set up could support some.

Nina - I've heard people keeping clams in this tank. I think Hippopus, Squamosa or even Derasa should be "OK" under this light. I haven't tried it myself. I have a Maxima and Crocea but they are in my 40gal under MH. Personally, I think Maxima and Crocea should be under MH. You can really enjoy their color under that sparkling light.

Cyber

Hey Cyber....got a great tank going there....been following your progress/update for the past few months....i just love the look of ur tank....have a similar looking tank but with a closed top but heck, ur tank is a benchmark for me.... :)

Just got a quick question tho.....it looks as though u have some sort of surface skimmer attachment at the back left portion of your tank. Is that a regular AC Surface Skimmer attachment or some custom job u got going? it looks as though there's an overflow surrounds the input to your powerfilter and if that were the case, it would seem like a pretty good alternative to an overflow box, it takes up less space and still maintains the functionality of keeping the surface clear etc....

U mind taking some close ups and giving us an idea of what you have going there? thanx for listening... ;)

keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.... B)

Hello Everyone,

Here is the close of the equipments

18gal_equip.jpg

A. Millennium Filter. I love this one because it's so quite and the return water flows across the surface, not down as many other filter.

B. The intake of the Millennium is removable without taking the filter apart. Just pull it up, clean it, and put it back. B)

C. Return water, flow across the surface instead spraying it down on the corals below.

D. Red Sea Prism Skimmer - Deluxe version. Please do youself (and your corals) a favor and get the deluxe version. The reason is that, for $10-20 more, you will get a surface skimming device (E) and a media container (F). Without the surface skimming device, your surface will be covered with a white film that will block the light and reduce the gas exchange. The media container is very useful when you try to use the carbon or phosban. Just pull out the container, dump the stuff in there, plug it back in and sit back enjoying the clear water ;)

E. Surface skimming device.

F. Media container.

G. Plug in a sponge here to reduce bubble if you need to. However, after the "break in" period of the skimmer, there shouldnt be any bubble. Also the amount of bubble can be controlled using the flow valve too.

H. 2x36W of PC. 1x10,000K, 1x12,000K. This can be upgraded to 4x36W by getting another exact fixture for $89 (at Tong's). But, hell, if I want to keep clams or sps, I put them in my 40gal. I dont want my bedroom to feel like a bakery. Besides clams and sps, most thing will do well under this. I have a purple and green digitata in there and they seem to be ok. They do grow!!!! B)

I. Aqua Zoo - 214 powersweep. It's selfrotated. Perfect for nano but need to clean every 2 months.

Hope I didnt miss anything.

Cyber

• 2 weeks later...

I have a via aqua also and you mentioned something about tong's I may be interested in getting a replacement fixture if possible could I have there info?

Thanks ,Dan

Nanodan - Tong's can order the fixture + bulbs for you for $89. I dont have their phone or address. They are in Irvine. I just know how to get there (I am from San Diego). If you take 405 sounth, exit Magnolia right, pass 2 blocks, it should be on your leftside. Perhaps someone else has Tong's phone number?

BR,

Cyber

ninhsavestheday - I think it should be ok. I use a millennium 2000 as you see in the picture. Minibow 7 should be 1.5 times longer than that. So millennium 1000 should be just fine.

Cyber

Archived