SaltCritters.com

Newbie questions

SW20Rida

I just recently started up my 20g show tank that has 25lbs of live sand and about 30 lbs of fiji live rock. I also bought a green chromis. Its been running now for about 2 days. Here are my questions:

1. I was reading up on this site and it says not to use a mecanical filter and just keep it all natural, which is why I went with LR and LS, and only a power head in there for water movement. Is it really necessary for me to get a filter on there? Isn't the LR and LS enough for the biological filtration? I just plan to run some sps corals and maybe three fish total in the future, the green chromis that's already in there, a Coral Beauty Angel fish, and a Blue-spotted Jaw fish.

2. Would it be okay to place a peppermint shrimp (L. Wurdemanni) in there? Or should I wait a couple more days or weeks? If so, how many [shrimps] would you recommend for a 20g show tank? I just want to get them in there asap because I read that they love to eat the aiptasia anemones, which are pests and will sting my corals if left alone, or so I read.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Well, for starters, how much gph do you have going on in that tank (gallons per hour) if you only have one powerhead, you mite wanna get two big ones or 3 or 4 smaller ones. HOB definately helps water flow also, more o2 exchange and in the future you could turn it into a fuge. Unless you got cured live rock your chromis mite dye from the pain of a cycle, I would wait to add more things, coupla weeks at leats. did you get any test kits?

Please don't add anymore Livestock until the cycle finishes. I can't stress that enough, cuz it stresses the crud out of the fish. Leave him in there as he's a good indicator as to how your tank is cycling, most people use evil damsels cuz their cheap. Mechanical filtration is not needed, but as Quash stated, it helps circulate the water and you can turn it into a refugium later on down the road. Get some test kits, Salifert is the best IMO, and I know I'm not alone. I'd test at least 3 times a week while it's cycling just to get an idea of where you're at. A peppermint shrimp isn't a sure bet when wanting to get rid of Aiptasia. from personal experience I noted that my Peppermint would only eat the small ones, anything larger than 3/4" diameter it wouldn't touch. The best way is to fry them with Kalkwasser. you'll just have to make it a strong batch, extra strong, get a turky baster or syringe and feed the thing a small drop and watch it fry. Mwahahaha... oops sorry just get excited watching them fry. :D

Peace

Edge

do alot of reading and research on compatiblity and room requirements and sizes that these fish can grow I would reconsider and plan more into detail if you want a coral beauty they are not a good fish to begin with and are tough to keep healthy in a nano and your a newbie take small steps and take notes from others on there setups. since your tank is 2 days old do your self a HUGE favor wait the FOUR weeks then test the water and start from there in the mean time LEARN search read and ask questions before you act if you don't know

good luck and welcome!!!

Archived